Llanfechan, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANAVAN-VECHAN, or LLANVECHAN (LLAN-AFAN-FECHAN), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Builth; comprising a portion of the hamlet of Gwravog, the rest of which is included in the parish of Llanlleonvel. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Irvon, which, in its course from west to east, divides the parish into two nearly equal portions. The church, dedicated to St. Avan, and situated on the north side of the high road, is a small edifice, covered with slate, which is procured from the mountains. There is a place of worship for Independents, with a Sunday school held in it.
Also known as Llanafan Fechan. Llanafan Fechan Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Cilmery in the county of Powys. St Afan's church at Llanafan Fechan, now usually called Llanfechan, lies about 7km to the west of Builth Wells. For more iinformation, see Llanafan Fechan at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 478-493. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.