Llaneleu, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANELIEU (LLAN-ELIEU), a parish, in the union of Hay, hundred of Talgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Hay. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Ellyw, grand-daughter of Brychan, Prince of Brycheiniog, who ruled about the commencement of the fifth century, and was distinguished chiefly for the number and the piety of his children. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Glâsbury and Hay, by the parish of Tàlgarth on the south and west, and the Black Mountains on the south and east. The church is a small ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel; and is situated in a mountain dell, sheltered on the south-east by the Black Mountains.
Also spelled Lanelieu. Llanelieu Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Talgarth in the county of Powys. There are few early references, but the siting, dedication and churchyard point to an early medieval origin. For more information see Llaneleu, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 1-14. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.