A guide to genealogy in Llandygwydd, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
LLANDYGWYDD (LLAN-DYGWYDD), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn. This parish is pleasantly situated in the south-western part of the county, on the banks of the river Teivy, and is intersected by the turnpike roads from Cardigan to Newcastle-Emlyn, only four miles distant from the former, though the latter is the post town. The church, dedicated to St. Ogwydd, as appears from the name so engraved on the old silver communion cup, is a neat modern edifice, built on the former site about the commencement of the present century. There were two chapels of ease; one at Neuadd, of which some vestiges may still be traced in a field called Parc-y-Capel; and the other near Cenarth bridge, which has totally disappeared, the site having been leveled in the formation of the turnpike-road. The Independents and the Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship.
For more information see Llandygwydd at Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llandygwydd at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 536-559. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 January 2014.