Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANDEVEYLOG (LLAN-DYFAELOG), a parish, in the hundred of Kidwelly, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.S.E.) from Carmarthen. This parish is situated on the navigable river Towy, by which it is bounded on the west; and contains a large tract of fertile land, the whole, with a very trifling exception, is inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is richly varied, and that portion of the parish situated between the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Kidwelly, which passes close to the village, and the river Towy, is not inferior, for the variety and beauty of its scenery, to any district in this part of the principality. There is an ancient weir for taking salmon and sewin, attached to the Plâs Gwyn estate. Several good family residences are situated within the limits of the parish, but most of them have been deserted by their proprietors, and converted into farm-houses. The church, dedicated to St. Maelog, the reputed founder, is of great antiquity, and of a very irregular form, differing as to structure from the generality of parochial churches. There are places of worship for Welsh Methodists, Independents, and Unitarians, of whom the first assemble for divine worship in an ancient edifice, formerly a chapel of ease to the mother church.
For more information see Llandefaelog, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 511-524. Adapted. Date accessed: 15 January 2014.