Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANDILO-VAWR (LLAN-DEILO-FAWR), a parish (and the head of a union), comprising the market town and liberties of Llandilo-Vawr, and the hamlets of Maenor-Deilo-vabon, Taliaris, and Tiîr Esgob with Rhôs-maen, in the lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH; the hamlets of Cwm-Garw-Llwyd, Maenor-Deilo Upper, Maenor-Deilo Lower, and Tâch Lenan with Rhiw-Llâs, in the lower division of the hundred of CAYO; and the hamlets of Bryn-y-Beirdd, Glyn-Aman, Pentrêv Cwn, Trêcastell, and Trêgib, in the hundred of ISCENNEN, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTHWALES, 15 miles (E. by N.) from Carmarthen. The TOWN is beautifully situated on an eminence rising from the right bank of the river Towy. Within the last few years great improvements have taken place. The PARISH is upwards of thirteen miles in length, from north to south, and about eight in breadth. It comprises about 26,000 acres, of which 5200 are arable, 13,000 pasture, 1300 woodland. The church, dedicated to St. Teilo, and situated nearly in the centre of the town, is a large heavy building. Within the limits of the parish are four places of worship for Independents, two for Baptists, two for Wesleyans, and one each for Calvinistic Methodists and Unitarians.
For more information see Llandeilo Fawr, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A,. A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 524-536. Adapted. Date accessed: 15 January 2014.