Llanddewi Brefi, Ceredigion, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Llanddewi Brefi, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; ...
LLANDEWY-BREVI (LLAN-DDEWI-BREVI), a parish comprising the townships of Dothie-Camddwr, Dothie-Pyscottwr, Godwidd, and Prisk with Carvan, in the upper division of the hundred of PENARTH; the chapelries of Blaen-Penal and Gartheli, and the townships of Cugian, Gwynvil, and Llanio, in the lower division of the same hundred ; and the chapelry of Bettws-Leike, in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES; 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Lampeter. The church, dedicated to St. David, and situated on an eminence, said to be the spot on which that saint stood while preaching against the Pelagian heresy, was built by Thomas Beck, Bishop of St. David's, as the collegiate church of the establishment which that prelate founded here in 1187. Having suffered much from dilapidation, the edifice was repaired in 1848. There are six places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
For more information about Llanddewi Brefi see Genuki - Llanddewibrefi
|before 31 March 1974||Cardiganshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Ceredigion|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 524-536. Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.