Llanddarog, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
LLANDAROG (LLAN-DDAROG), a parish in the hundred of ISCENNEN, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Carmarthen. The village occupies a bleak and unsheltered situation on the turn-pike road from Carmarthen to Swansea, and commands an extensive prospect. Through the parish passes a continuous ridge of limestone, which is burnt in considerable quantities into manure for the supply of the neighbourhood. The church, dedicated to St. Twrog, is a large edifice, internally well arranged, and appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. There was formerly a chapel of ease in the parish, of which there are still some slight remains, called St. Bernard's; it has been in ruins for nearly two centuries. The Baptists, Independents, and Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, have places of worship; and there are three Sunday schools connected with the dissenters.
For more information see Llanddarog, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 505-511. Adapted. Date accessed: 14 January 2014.