Llanafan Fawr, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANAVAN-VAWR (LLAN-AFAN-FAWR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Builth; comprising the township of Llŷsdinam. The church, dedicated to St. Avan, consists of a nave of considerable length, with a low massive tower at the western end, containing five bells.
St Afan's church at Llanafan Fawr lies some miles to the south-west of Builth Wells. Part of the medieval church survives but there has been considerable rebuilding in the 18thC and 19thC. It contains several interesting features, most notably several early medieval stone fragments and a pillar stone. The churchyard is massive and would originally have been nearly circular. For more information see Llanafan Fawr, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 478-493. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.