Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Livingston County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Livingston County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1798|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Miscellaneous
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 4.17 Societies and Libraries
- 5 References
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
A loss of some records occurred due to a fire in 1804.
|Grand Rivers||Lake City|
- Hardin County, Illinois
- Massac County, Illinois
- Pope County, Illinois
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- Ky African American Griots
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
The following web sites have additional information on Livingston county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- ePodunk list of Livingston County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Livingston Co. Wills and Probate Records
- Abstracts of Early KY Supreme Court Cases KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL 751704
- [Lacey] Moore, Maurice Augustus. The Life of Gen. Edward Lacey: With a List of Battles and Skirmishes in South Carolina During the Revolutionary War. Spartanburg, S.C.: Douglass, Evins & Co., 1859. FHL 413932.
- [Lacey] Draper, Lyman C. King's Mountain and Its Heroes. Cincinnati: Peter G. Thomson, Publishers, 1881. Pages 463-464. Digital version at Google Books.
- [Lacey] Owen, Thomas McAdory. "Colonel Edward Lacey of the Revolution and Some of His Descendants," The Gulf States Historical Magazine, Vol. 1 (July 1902):41-44. Digital version at Google Books.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- Old Fire Maps
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Livingston Co., KyGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 20th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and K.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1799-1873 - Will Books A to B (1799-1873) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1799-1832 - The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Livingston County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Will Book A: 1799-1832
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1837 Deliquent Tax List for Livingston Co., Ky.
- Present Tax Rates
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- Livingston County Kentucky Vital Records
- Livingston County Clerk
335 Court Street
Smithland, KY 42081
- http://kyvitals.com/ Ky Vital Records Project
- 1800-1901 - Delayed Livingston Co., Ky. Births 1800-1910
- 1852-1861 - Livingston County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517641 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Livingston County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517642 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1911-1930 - Livingston Co., Ky. Births 1911-1930
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1861 - Livingston County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517641 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Livingston County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517643 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Livingston County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517644 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1895 - Livingston Co., Ky. Marriages 1895
- 1860 - Livingston Co., Ky. 1860 Mortality Schedule
- 1870 - Livingston Co., Ky. 1870 Mortality Schedule
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1911-2000 - Ky. Death Records 1911-2000
- Some Livingston Co., Ky. death cert. transcriptions
- Browning Obits (based in Evansville, In. but some Ky. deaths listed here)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Livingston County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Livingston Co., KyGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Livingston County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Livingston County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.