List of Chapelries in Standish Parish
Return to the Lancashire Probate Jurisdictions, Parishes beginning with S page.
STANDISH (St.Wilfrid), a parish, in the unions of Wigan and Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire; containing 8686 inhabitants, of whom 2565 are in the township of Standish with Langtree, 3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Wigan. According to Whitaker, the historian of Manchester, Standish, anciently Stanedich, was one of the twelve considerable towns in the south of Lancashire in which the Saxons erected fortified castles for the residence of their chiefs, and the protection of the country. Of the castle of Standish, however, there are no remains, nor can its site even be ascertained. Jordan de Standish is named in connexion with the manor in the 16th of Edward I.; but whether his progenitors gave their name to the parish, or received it from the castle, is by no means evident: it is believed that the family have been settled here from the Conquest, or from a very short period after that event. The parish comprises the townships of Adlington, Anderton, Charnock-Richard, Coppull, Duxbury, Heath-Charnock, Shevington, Standish with Langtree, Welsh-Whittle, and Worthington. It measures from north to south eight miles, and from east to west six miles six furlongs, forming an area of 9432 acres: of these, 3040 acres are in Standish with Langtree. The greater portion of the land is in pasture, not more than a fourth part being in arable cultivation. Ordinary coal and cannel-coal mining employs a great number of hands; there are several stone-quarries; and cotton and silk weaving is extensively carried on. The Roman Watling-street passes through the parish; the Leeds and Liverpool canal winds along its south and east sides, and it is intersected by the North-Union and the Bolton and Preston railways.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 180-183. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51296 Date accessed: 08 June 2010.
There were at least two other Episcopal churches standing within the civil parish boundaries of Standish Parish. These were:
- Adlington - 1812
- Coppull - 1839