Lingfield, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Lingfield, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Lingfield St+Peter+and+St+Paul Surrey
|Poor Law Union||East Grinstead|
|Registration District||East Grinstead|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
LINGFIELD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of East Grinstead, First division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Godstone. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
For civil registration history see East Grinstead registration district and Godstone registration distirct
Certificates may be obtained from
East Sussex The Register Office
BN21 4UG Phone01323 464780 Fax 01323 431386 email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Register Office
70 Church Street
Phone=0300 200 1002
fax 01372 832810
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
In 1734 the parish built a workhouse which was later sold when the East Grinstead Poor Law Union was formed.
The parish joined the East Grinstead union in 1835 and received pauper boys; girls were at Hartfield parish with the East Grinstead workhouse accommodating adults (with an overflow to Withyham)
There was some dissent about the East Grinstead union but it was not until 1897 that the parish was transferred to the Godstone Union.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 25 February 2014.
- Batches C006972, P006971, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batch M006971, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 15 April 2012.