Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Lincoln Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lincoln Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1873|
|Address|| 100 W. Texas Ave.|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Abraham Lincoln. The County has Ruston as its seat and the County was created 1873. The County is located in the north central area of the state.
Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Lincoln Parish Courthouse
100 W Texas Avenue
Ruston, LA 71270
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from 1873.
- 1873--Lincoln Parish was created 27 February 1873 from Bienville, Jackson, Union, and Claiborne Parishes.
Parish seat: Ruston 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Index to Lincoln Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Lincoln Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Lincoln Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, Family Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Lincoln Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Lincoln Parish Census Data|
- Index to Lincoln Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Links to Online Census Images, Lincoln Parish, Louisiana (Census Online)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Churches of Lincoln Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Ruston, Lincoln Parish, The First 50 Years (Genealogy Trails)
- Lincoln Parish History (USGenWeb Archives)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Lincoln Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Lincoln Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Lincoln Parish Newspaper Articles (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Lincoln Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Lincoln Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1875 Lincoln Parish Marriages (Genealogy Trails)
- 1950 Marriage Notices in Tech Talk (Genealogy Trails)
- Lincoln Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Societies and Libraries
North Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 324
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Lincoln Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Lincoln Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Lincoln, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lincoln Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Lincoln Parish, Louisiana p 291 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Lincoln Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22061.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.