Lincoln County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Lincoln County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lincoln County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||November 4, 1873|
|Address|| Lincoln County Courthouse|
319 N Rebecca
Ivanhoe, MN 56142
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Abraham Lincoln. The County is located in the southwest area of the state. 
Lincoln County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth, and marriage records from 1879,
death and court records from 1880 and divorce records from 1891.
Probate Judge has probate records from 1877.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1873. 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Brookings County, South Dakota
- Deuel County, South Dakota
- Moody County, South Dakota
- Yellow Medicine
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Lincoln – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Lincoln County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Radzilowski, John.Out on the Wind: Poles and Danes in Lincoln County, Minnesota, 1880-1905. Marshall, MN: Crossings Press, 1992. Print.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lincoln County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Lincoln County Historical Society
406 Brooks St
Hendricks MN 56136
Lake Benton Area Historical Society
PO Box 267
108 South Center Street
Lake Benton MN
Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
Social Science 141
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Lincoln County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County,_Minnesota accessed 13 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lincoln County, Minnesota page 365, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).