Lilley, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Lilley, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law Union||Hitchin|
|Parish registers: 1711|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Lilley, or Lindley, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Hertfordshire. The village is near the forder of Bedfordshire, and 4 miles N NE of Luton railway station, it is 5 miles WSW of Hitchin. It contains the hamlet of Mangrove. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
LILLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Hitchin and Pirton, county of Hertford, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Luton, The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Lilley, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|LILLEY PARISH Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Lilley on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 20 December 2013.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.