Lier Parish, Buskerud, Norway Genealogy
Guide to Lier, Norway ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
Parish registers are available at the Family History Library on microfilm. Lier clerical district contains parish registers for the parishes Frogner, Sylling and Tranby in Lier clerical district. Included Strømsø parish until 1723. Records from 1672-1932.
Digitized images of parish registers available online at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives).
Searchable birth, death and marriage records are available at Dis-Norge. When you get to the main page it is in Norweigan. Select Kilder i Buskerud. Then you will see a list of parishes contained in Buskerud County. Select Lier from the buttons on the left. You have the choice of seeing Kirkeboker (Church books) or Andre Kilder (Other sources). Click on church books and you will see a grid of Dåp (Christening), Konf (Confirmation), Gifte (marriage), Døde (death). When you click on any of the time periods you will be able to create your own search engine to search the time period you want to find the record in. This is very helpful.
- 1664-1666 Census Sogneprestenes manntall Bragernes Prosti b. 9 Lier clerical district with Frogner, Tranby and Sylling parishes. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Film 122996 Item 1 and at Digitalarkivet as scanned images and as a database.
- 1801 Census Lier clerical district includes Lier, Frogner, Sylling and Tranby. However, Bragernes parish is also listed with Lier clerical district at this time period, as the first parish on this film. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Film 122968 Item 2 and at Digitalarkivet as a 1801-telling for 0626 Lier.
- 1815 Census Lier clerical district in Buskerud county, which includes Frogner, Tranby and Sylling parishes. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Film 1694664 Item 3 and at Digitalarkivet as Folketeljing for Lier 1815.
- 1865 Census Lier clerical district includes Lier, Frogner, Sylling and Tranby. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Film 123043 Item 2 and at Digitalarkivet as 1865-telling for 0626 Lier.
- 1875 Census Lier clerical district includes Lier, Frogner, Sylling and Tranby. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Films 255667-255669 and at Digitalarkivet as 1875-teljinga for 0626 Lier.
- 1900 Census Lier clerical district includesLier, Frogner, Sylling and Tranby. Microfilmed images are available at the Family History Library Films 275137-275143 and at Digitalarkivet as 1900-telling for 0626 Lier.
- 1910 Census The 1910 census search at Digitalarkivet
- The census of 1865, 1875 (partial), 1900 and 1910 are also available at the Norwegian Historical Data Center
Farm index for Lier Farms books online. Liers historie bind 1-6 Lier kommune has put their farm books on the internet in a searchable format.
Here you will find Lier historie vols. 1-6 i digitalized and searchable format. Lier is excited to be one of the first communities to make their farm books available in this format.
Farm Books or bygdebøks are very helpful in searching for families in rural areas in Norway. In every rural town in Buskerud you will see following in official chuch record a place name or name of farm following every persons name. For example: Hans Guttormsen Helgerud. Helgerud being the place name or farm name. So if you search in that farm book you might be able to see a pedigree of this person or this person's father depending on if they owned land. For Lier parish all of the farm books are online http://www.lier.kommune.no/liers-historie/gaardsregister.htm . Just note that even if a farm name is listed after a person's name, it does not mean that they were the owners of that land or farm. That person could have just been living there working the land for the owner or a servant living there.
To search the actual probate record documents go to Digitalarkivet. This takes you to the official digital archives of Norway. This is a free website. You can choose English or Norwegian. In the top blue menu bar you can select Digitized probate material. Now this section is all in Norwegian. Choose all for the first pull down menu. Choose the county, (Buskerud), for the next pull down menu. Then choose Lier, Royken and Hurum in the third pull down menu. Choose Alle in the fourth pull down menu. Then select UTFØR to search. You will see the different time periods listed in the second blue column. All but one has a register or index accompanying it. Start by clicking on the register to the right of the time period the person died. (It will also be helpful to know the farm of the person before searching, as there are so many duplicate names.) You can adjust the percent view in the upper left hand corner in the pull down menu. It starts at a 40% view. In most of the registers it will list the person by first name and then list a page number on which the probate will be found. After finding the persons name just type the page number in the search box that starts out saying "mangler". You can easily scroll through the pages by clicking on the screen with your mouse.