Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield|
|Parish registers: 1566|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1659|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Lichfield|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Lichfield St Mary is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire. Non-Church of England denominations identified in Lichfield St Mary include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist. The following non-Church of England denominations were located somewhere in Lichfield, but the exact parish has not been identified: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Society of Friends/Quaker. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Lichfield St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
| BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8