Lethbridge Alberta Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Lethbridge Alberta Family History Center provides knowledge and resources to patrons to help them find their ancestors.
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Hours
- 3 Calendar and Events
- 4 Special Events
- 4.1 Staff Training Meetings:
- 4.2 Centre Resources
- 4.2.1 Collections
- 4.2.2 Major collections at the Lethbridge FHC
- 4.2.3 Books and Gazetteers
- 4.2.4 Maps and Atlas
- 4.2.5 Microfilm
- 4.2.6 Microfiche
- 4.2.7 CD's
- 188.8.131.52 North American Vital Records Index
- 184.108.40.206 Australian Vital Records Index
- 220.127.116.11 1851 British Census
- 18.104.22.168 British Vital Records Index
- 22.214.171.124 British 1881 Census and Index
- 126.96.36.199 Mormon Immigration Index
- 188.8.131.52 Western Europe Vital Records Index
- 184.108.40.206 Pedigree Resource File (20 CD's) and Indexes
- 220.127.116.11 Family Registry
- 18.104.22.168 Accelerated Indexing System
- 22.214.171.124 Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- 4.2.8 Databases and Software
- 4.2.9 Staff Research Specialties
- 4.3 Resources in the Local Area
- 4.4 Links
- 4.5 Volunteer at the Centre
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location and Map:
- 1912 - 10th Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 0B7 Canada
- Please use the South entrance.
- Location on Map
- 1912 - 10th Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 0B7 Canada
Mon. 9 – 5; Tue., Wed., Thur., 9 – 9; Closed Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays
Summer hours - June, July, and August 2018
Tues. 9 am to 5 pm and Wed. 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Family Day ..........................................................................................Feb 17, 18, & 19
- General Conference.............................................................................Mar 31, 2018
- Easter...................................................................................................Mar 30 & 31 & April 1& 2
- Victoria Day..........................................................................................May 19, 20, & 21
- Canada Day..........................................................................................July 1st
- Labour Day.......................................................................................... September 1, 2, 3
- General Conference.............................................................................October 6
- Thanksgiving .......................................................................................October 6, 7, & 8
- Christmas.............................................................................................December 10 to January 6, 2019
Calendar and Events
Class Schedule for 2018
You may register online for any courses at www.findfamilystory.com.
Classes have a 20 person Limit so must register 403-328-0206 Thank you.
January through December 2018
Temple and Family History Consultant Training Conference -- Friday, Oct. 19 and Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018
Family History Fun Fair – January 27, 2018 - Has been cancelled.
Staff Training Meetings:
Training for new consultants is every Thursday afternoon at 1:00 pm. In the Family History Center.
Training for all consultants: Meet at the Lethbridge Family History Center for training on the first Thursday of most months at 7 p.m. except during the holiday schedule.
- All Temple and Family History Consultants including Youth Temple and Family History Consultants from all three Lethbridge Stakes.
- Temple and Family History Consultants who serve as staff members of the Lethbridge Family History Center.
Major collections at the Lethbridge FHC
Index to passenger lists of ships into Halifax and Quebec 1865-1900
Index Upper Canada Marriage Bonds (film) 1803 - 1845 (pa-z)
Soundex Border Crossings 1895-1954 - microfilms of border crossing records from Canada into the U.S. 1895 - 1954
Federal Census for all Provinces in Canada 1851 - complete for all Provinces 1861 - complete for all Provinces 1871 - complete except for Quebec 1881 - complete except for Quebec 1891 - complete except for Quebec 1901 - complete for all Provinces
Microfilm of certificates and Indexes Marriages
- Marriages 1873-1913(part of)
- Marriage Bonds 1803 - 1845, 1865 - MicrofilmMarriage Index 1873-1912
- Some early Marriage records 1801-1848 - Microfilm
- County Marriage Registry 1858-1869 - Book
- Births 1869-1899
- Birth Indexes 1869 - 1922
- Delayed Registration of Births 1860-1899
- Deaths (Reg. and Index) 1869-1924
- Deaths 1869-1923 (part of)
- Several 1800's county maps with histories of people
Land Records Index - Microfilm
- 1871 Census Index - books
- Federal census 1851, 1861, and 1871, 1881 and 1891
Microfiche for the following cemeteries:
- Trinty Lutheran Cemetery, Huron Co.
- Ambrose Roman Catholic Cemetery, Huron Co.
- Abandoned Pres. Cemetery, Wroxeter, Ont.
- Anglican Cemetery Howick Twp.
- Hayden Methodist Cemetery, Howick Twp.
- Baptist Abandoned Pioneer Cemetery, Howick Twp.
- Abandoned Old Hunter Cemetery, Howick Twp.
- Church of the Annunciation Cemetery, Frontenac, Ont.
- Lanark Co. probate Rec. 1871 - 1902 (film)
- Ont. Surrogate Court 1837 - 1902 Ind 1848 - 1968
County Histories - book Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 - book Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1881 and 1901
Vital Statistics form N.B. Newspapers 1784-1878 - books Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1891 and 1901
Re Cueil De Genealogies - Gazetteer Beauce-Dorchester-Frontenac 1625-1946 (ll Volumes) Genealogies-Montmagny, L'islet, Bellechasse (16 Volumes) Tanquay's Dictionnaire Genealogique (109 Fiche) Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1901 Laiselle Index to Quebec Marriages (11 films) 1881 census for Lotbiniere Co., Montreal City, Argenteul Co., Pontiac Co. 1891 Census Argenteuil Dist., Yamaska District
England and Wales: Births, Marriages, Death microfiche Indexes
Births 1837-1926 (more to come)
Marriages 1837-1928 (more to come)
Deaths 1837-1933 (more to come)
Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1837 (7 microfilms)
English Probate Indexes
1891 Census England, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man
1881 Census England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man - microfiche - county indexed 5 ways: (1)by surname (2)by birthplace (3)by census place(4)as enumerated (5)list of ships list of institutions, miscellaneous
1851 Census Index for Warwickshire
1841-1881 Census Street Index
Calendar of Wills 1858-1876
Marriage Licence Index Vicar Gen. 1660-1921
Index Marriage Licence (Faculty Office) 1632-1955
Society of Friends, Channel Islands (film)
Civil Registry microfiche Index Births 1855-1955 Marriages 1855-1956 Deaths 1855-1956 Parochial Registry for Scotland Scotland Church Records (see under Family Search)
Microfilm Index Births 1855-1959 Marriages 1855-1959 Deaths 1855-1959 Irish Marriage Licence microfilm Index 1623-1866 Householders microfilm Index Irish Passenger lists 1847-1871 (book) Irish landowners 1876 (book)
Hamburg Germany Passenger list Index 1855-1934 Gazetteer for Prussia (13 Volumes) Large Divisional Maps of Poland 30 general reference books for Germany Parish Record Grassard Co., Sweden Parish Register Jerichow, Sachsen, Germany
Accelerated Index System (searches 1-7A) Microfiche Surname Index of Tax Lists and Census records for the U.S Social Security Death Index - On Family Search Passenger and Immigration Lists Index (15 Volumes) Numerous films and 144 general reference books and 62 books for various states
- Film 1900 Federal census Missouri
- Film 1880 census Ogle Co., Illinois
- Film 1880 census Stephenson Co., Illinois
- Film 1880 census Boone Co., Illinois
Enumeration Districts 1880 Census (film) Army Register, Ohio Volunteers, Civil War 1861-1865(Fiche) Roster of Ohio Soldiers in Civil War 1861-1866, 1846-1848(fiche)
Victoria, Australia Microfiche Index
- Birth 1853 - 1895
- Marriage 1853 - 1895
- Death 1853 - 1895
- Early Church Records 1828 - 1844
- Index to Early Church Birth, Marriage and Deaths
- 1853-1895 Victoria, Australia
Alberta Ward Records Crossing the Ocean Index 1840-1925 1966 Series 4 Generation Sheets LDS Census 1914-1920, 1925, 1930, 1935 LDS Immigration from England 1875-1913 Church Memberships 1830-1848 (95 Fiche) Archive Records - Family Group Sheets on Microfiche History of the Church on Microfiche Some Utah Ward Records Some English Branch Records Mormon Pioneers Crossing the Plains
Books and Gazetteers
The Lethbridge Family History Center has an extensive collection of resource books and localhistory books. They are as follows:
- 583 Parish Registry books of England. This information can also be found on some of the films which are located in our library.
- England: British Isles general reference 83, counties of England 599, Ireland 23, Scotland 31.
- Canada: general reference 31, Alberta 50, New Brunswick 16, Nova Scotia 27, Ontario 27, Quebec 41, as well as many other books for other provinces.
- There are 147 general genealogy reference books
- There are also general reference books for all countries of the world including one on Jewish research.
- The Library has 18 L.D.S reference books
- Total general reference books for U.S.A. are 144, also 6 for Native Races and 62 reference books forU.S. States.
- 30 reference books on Germany
- A number of gazateers
- Genealogical Research Directories 1885 - 1996
- History Books of Southern Alberta
Maps and Atlas
The Family History Center has an excellent collection of maps for most countries of the world, which include Ireland, England, Europe, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Denmark Sweden, Netherlands, Iceland, and Norway.
- 14 maps of Germany
- English Shire maps
- Scotland Shire maps
- Reg. and Census district maps of England
- 17 Ordnance Survey Maps - U.K.
- 62 maps of England, Wales and Scotland
- Atlas of States in U.S.
- Historical Atlas for Canada, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Numerous Counties of Ontario
The Family History Center has 10 film readers and over 12,500 microfilms.
There is a large collection of films for Scotland, particularly Aberdeen County. There are a total of 1117 films for all of Scotland (including Aberdeen) which include marriage, birth, death, census, and baptism records. Parish Registers and histories are also on film.
Films on each county of England may contain census records, Parish Registers marriages, birth, death.
The Family History Center has films for almost every country of the world including: Ireland, Wales, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, every state in the U.S.A., Switzerland, Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, every province in Canada, Asia, and of course England and Scotland. These films could include marriage, birth, death, census records and much more.
The Family History Center has an extensive collection of microfiche (8700) and six microfiche readers. Besides part of our major collection of resources on microfiche, we also have the following:
- The most used 200 reference books
- I.G.I. for England, Wales, Europe, Mexico, South America, South West Pacific, Asia, Africa, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, U.S.A. and Canada.
- Accelerated Indexing System (searches 1 - 7A) 1607-1906 Each index covers at least a ten year period and several states
- Ontario Land Records
- England and Wales index marriages 1904-1940, deaths for 1904-1940 and birth 1904-1940
- Victoria Australia Index - births 1853-1895, deaths 1853-1895, and marriages1853-1895 early church records (all churches).
- 1891 census for England, Wales, Channel Islands, Island of Man
- FamilySearch Catalogue
- Parish Listing and Vital Records
North American Vital Records Index
More than 4.6 million christenings, births, and marriages that occurred in the United States and Canada from about 1700 to 1888.
Australian Vital Records Index
Index to records from New South Wales (1788-1888, Tasmania (1803-1899), Victoria (1837-1888), and Western Australia (1841-1905). It does not include information from Queensland, South Australia, and the Northern Territory. The index contains about 4.5 million records of births, christenings, marriages, and deaths. It includes the name, year, age, parents or spouse, date and place of the event, and an index reference that can be used to obtain a certificate from the state civil registration office.
1851 British Census
Index to the census records of Devon, Norfolk, and Warwick counties only. About 1.5 million names were transcribed from original census returns. The index lists a person's name, relationship to head of household, sex, age, occupation, birthplace, and residence. Families are listed as they were enumerated in the actual census.
British Vital Records Index
Information on more than 4.7 million christenings, births, and marriages that occurred in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland from 1500 to 1888. This information came from British church and vital records collected as a part of the Church's extraction program. The amount of information varies greatly by time period and locality.
British 1881 Census and Index
Contains over 30 million individuals from England, Wales, and Scotland.
Mormon Immigration Index
The Mormon Immigration Index is a database of approximately 93,000 immigrants who traveled from various international ports to the United States between the years 1840 and 1890. Information in this database includes the age, country of origin, ports of departure and arrival, the company leader assigned to each voyage, and general voyage information. This index also contains transcriptions of autobiographies, journals, diaries, and letters of approximately 1,000 passengers. These immigrant accounts are linked to over 500 known LDS companies and provide a composite account of those who crossed the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to gather in Zion. Other people who took part of these voyages, but who were not members of the LDS Church are also listed in this index.
Western Europe Vital Records Index
12 million names for Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Baden, Bavaria, Hessen-Darmstadt, Lippe-Detmold, Oldenburg, Prussia, Turingia, Wurtemberg, Italy, and Spain.
Pedigree Resource File (20 CD's) and Indexes
The Pedigree Resource File contains family history records submitted by individuals through the FamilySearch® Internet Genealogy Service. Family information is organized in family groups and pedigrees, similar to how it is displayed in Ancestral File™. However, the Pedigree Resource File displays each submitter's information exactly as it was submitted, not combined with information from other submitters, as is done in Ancestral File. Notes and sources are also displayed. Over one million individuals are included on each CD.
The Family Registry is a microfiche file consisting of:
- A registry of names that people are working on
- Their addresses or means of contacting them
- Registry of family organizations or people wanting to start a family organization.
Accelerated Indexing System
The Accelerated Indexing Systems (AIS) is a commercial company that indexes genealogical records. The microfiche version of the AIS U.S. Census indexes was published in 1984. It is distributed by the Family History Library, with permission of AIS, for use in the Family History Centers. The Accelerated Indexing Systems indexes are alphabetical listings of some of the people living in the United States between 1607 and 1906. These listings were compiled from the United States census records and other records. There are a total of eight searches in all.
Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
The Lethbridge Family History Center has a large collection of books, biographies and histories regarding the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. There are many decendents of the Utah Pioneers living in Southern Alberta. Some of the information regarding the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers has been written by these decendents and is contained in the following books and biographies.
- Chronicles of Courage Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4
- An Enduring Legacy - Volumes 1 - 12
- Our Pioneer Heritage - Volumes 18, 19
- Numerous biographies and Town Histories
- Numerous Personal Histories
- Booklets - Pioneer by Train to Alberta Plains Volumes 1, 2
Databases and Software
This centre has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. These websites include:
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- World Vital Records
- The Genealogist.co.uk
- Find My Past
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archives
- Heritage Quest Online
- Alexander Street Press
- Historical Maps Works Library Edition
- Family History Link
- Ancestry Institution
- American Ancestors - New England Historic Genealogical Society
Hardware and Equipment
- 15 computers
- 2 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche readers
- 2 printers
- 2 photocopy machines
- 1 film copier
- Screen capture software (used to copy images from computers for printing or saving to flash drives)
Staff Research Specialties
(Include sections for any other services your centre provides. Add additional sections for those services. See the Mesa Family History Center and Logan Utah Family History Center FHC pages for examples.)
Resources in the Local Area
The Lethbridge Family History Center has a collection of Microsoft PowerPoint presentations that have been created by Temple and Family History Consultants who have specific expertise. These PowerPoints can be viewed only on computers at the center and contain the following topics:
- Scandinavian research
- United States
LDS websites and research
- Combining in new.familysearch.org
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Family Search Indexing
- Family Search affiliates
- new.familysearch.org features
- new.familysearch.org - Prepares names for Temple ordinances
- Registering on new.familysearch.org
- Searching and adding in new.familysearch.org
- Submitting names to the Temple
- Using familysearch.org
- Using LDS records for discovering your family
- Using LDS websites to further your family history
- PAF - part 1
- PAF - part 2
- PAF - part 3
- Cleaning up PAF
Other research topics
- A Hen Gathereth Her Chicks
- Advanced English Research
- Beginning the Research Process Expanded version
- Branching Out
- Brick Walls and Dead Ends
- Census Substitutes
- Collaboration Turning the Daunting Research to Undaunting
- Colonial America
- Consulting Desk Responsibilities
- Consultant Training
- Copyright Laws and Family History
- Death after taxes
- Documenting Death
- England - Livery Companies
- England beyond the basics
- English poor laws
- European censuses
- Evaluating evidence
- Families - fleshing out their stories
- First Aid
- Germans from Russia
- Getting Organized
- Getting started and basic research
- GPS, definitions and citations >
- He is who he is
- Historic Lethbridge
- How to help patrons
- Internet and genealogy
- Internet for family history research
- Irish research resources
- Jewish genealogy
- Leaves, branches, trees and research
- Lost children
- Making complete paper trails
- Maps and Gazetteers
- Message boards
- Name that name!
- National Burial Index
- Ontario basic research
- Oops! common mistakes in family history
- operation petticoat
- Ordering films online
- Pre 1930 adoptions
- Putting it all together
- Railroad records
- Records on the common people
- Setting up and accessing e-mail accounts
- Social networking
- The golden hour of family history
- Training temple and family history consultants
- Unusual sources
- Using Ancestry.com
- Using census records
- Using family history Societies, Associations, Archives
- Using PowerPoint
- Vital records of Canada
- Ward Temple and Family History Consultants training
- What's available
- Witnesses please stand up!
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)