Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Leflore County, Mississippi ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Leflore County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||15 March, 1871|
|Address|| Leflore County Courthouse|
317 W Market Street
PO Box 250
Greenwood, MS 38935
Leflore County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Greenwood LeFlore. The County has Greenwood as its seat and the County was created 1871. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Leflore County, Mississippi Record Dates
Leflore County Courthouse
317 W Market Street
PO Box 250
Greenwood, MS 38935
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and court records. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and probate records from 1871 and land records from 1834. 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
For tips on accessing Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Leflore County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1866-1914 - Leflore County Marriage Books 1-29 Index 1866-1914 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Greenwood - Leflore County Public Library
408 West Washington
Greenwood, MS 38930
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Leflore County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Genweb Leflore County, Mississippi Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "LeFlore, Mississippi," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leflore_County,_Mississippi."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Leflore County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.