Leeds County, Ontario Genealogy
|Ontario Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Leeds County ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
- 1 Genealogy of Leeds and Grenville Counties
- 2 Civil Registration
- 3 Census Records
- 4 Church Records
- 5 Cemetery Records
- 6 Populated Places Table
- 7 Websites
- 7.1 History of Leeds and Grenville County
- 7.2 Cemeteries of Leeds County
- 7.2.1 Canada GenWeb Cemetery Geneofun
- 7.2.2 St Patrick Roman Catholic Cemetery Canada Cemetery Genweb
- 7.2.3 Leeds and Grenville Gen Web Rootsweb Ancestry~on Leeds Grenville Cemeteries
- 7.2.4 Find a grave Leeds County, Ontario Graves
- 7.2.5 Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
- 7.2.6 Family History Library Books and Films -Leeds County Cemeteries
- 7.2.7 Herald Angel Anglican Church Cemetery record : Front of Leeds & Lansdowne Township, 1976
- 7.2.8 Some township of Leeds & Lansdowne Front cemeteries, Leeds Co. Ontario
- 7.2.9 Union Cemetery, lot 4, concession 4, township of Lansdowne, county of Leeds, Ontario, Canada
Genealogy of Leeds and Grenville Counties
Links to censuses, cemetery transcriptions, military records, passenger lists, family history societies for Leeds County, Ontario, Canada Genealogy Links
Leeds County Genealogy Queries
This site is a message board for Leeds, Ontario, Canada; Cousin Connect
Ontario Genealogical Society Leeds & Grenville Branch
Ontario GenWeb Project Leeds and Grenville Counties
Genealogy Resources Leeds-Grenville This site contains articles and links to Census Returns, Cemeteries, Churches and Congregations plus much more.
1852 Census of Canada West (Ontario) District 20 Leeds Automated Genealogy Census 52 District
This site has a surname search that makes it easy to find your family in the 1852 Census.
The Olive Tree Genealogy
Your link to the past since February 1996! Search for your ancestors in free Ships' Passenger lists, Naturalization Records, Palatine Genealogy, Canadian Genealogy, American Genealogy, Native American Genealogy, Huguenots, Mennonites, Almshouse Records, Orphan Records, church records, military muster rolls, census records, land records and more. marks FREE genealogy records. Olive Tree Genealogy
Rideau Heritage Route Genealogy
Communities along the Rideau Heritage route originally began to be settled in the late 1700's and 1800's. Settlers came from Europe either for a new beginning or to escape some foreign pressure. In our area, thousands of Irish immigrants were used for labour to build the Rideau Canal. When did your ancestor immigrate to Ontario? Did they help build this historical marvel? This section will provide information on finding resources to help you answer these questions. Rideau Heritage Route Rideau Genealogy
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1858 - 1913 - Ontario, Canada Births, 1858-1913 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1912 - Ontario Births, 1869-1912 at --index. ($)
- 1801-1858 - Ontario, District Marriage Registers, 1801-1858 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1801-1928, 1933-1934 - Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1858-1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1869-1937, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario Deaths, 1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
Writing for a More Recent Birth, Marriage, or Death Record
- ServiceOntario, Birth Records is the only government-authorized source for obtaining birth certificates. Go to the section entitled "Order a Birth Search". This is the most economical, searches the widest time period, and allows searches for people not immediately related. A letter of information is provided rather than a certificate.
- ServiceOntario, Marriage Records offers a marriage search option and a historical certificate option.
- ServiceOntario, Death Records offers a death search option and a historical certificate option. Also official death certificates are available to a wider range of relatives than birth and marriage certificates.
FamilySearch Library Microfilmed Records
Some of the church/civil records have been microfilmed by FamilySearch.These microfilms may be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers around the world. To find a microfilm:
- a. Click on records for Canada, Ontario, Leeds County. You will see a list of available records for the county.
- b. You will also see above the list the link Places within Canada, Ontario, Leeds County. This will take you to a list of towns in the counties, which are links to records for the specific town.
- c. Click on any topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- d. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the microfilm listed for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the microfilm is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the microfilm.
Ontario and Nova Scotia Census, 1800-1842
Canada Census, 1851
Census of Canada, 1861
Census of Canada, 1871
Census of Canada, 1881
Census of Canada, 1891
Census of Canada, 1901
Census of Canada, 1911
Census of Canada, 1921
Church records can include baptisms, marriages, burials, membership lists, financial business, and other records for a particular congregation. They may be available online or on microfilm, but frequently they are still with the local church or in centralized archives by religion. The Canadian census records asked for the religion of those listed, so you will be able to narrow down which archives to consult. For help with writing a letter requesting copies of records, see Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy.
- Link to Anglican church archives
- Link to Baptist church archives
- Link to Catholic church archives
- Link to Lutheran church archives
- Link to Moravian church archives
- Link to Presbyterian church archives
- Link to United Church of Canada (including Methodist) church archives
Online Church Records
These records are incomplete.
- Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 collection includes indexed Ontario church records.
- Ontario Marriages, 1800-1910.
- Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923., images only.
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1760-1923, index and images, ($).
- Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1802-1967
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Marriages, 1827-1870, ($).
- Various individual church records at FindMyPast, ($).
See, Ontario Cemeteries for information on cemetery record collections not yet digitized, but available in published sources and on microfilm.
Online Cemetery Records
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid website has a free, searchable database of over 2 million burials in Ontario. It can be searched by name, cemetery, county and town, but its references do not include dates of death. Although it does not include any gravestone inscriptions, it can be used to locate graves in Ontario.
- Ontario Cemetery Ancestory Index
- Ontario Name Index (TONI)
- The Ontario section of Canada GenWeb Cemetery Project
- Ontario, Canada Headstones.com
- Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Populated Places Table
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
| CURRENT DIVISION LINK, where applicable |
|Front of Escott||Township||Link | Link||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link|
|Front of Leeds and Lansdowne||Township Link||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link|
|Front of Yonge||Township||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link|
|Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne||Township||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link|
|Rear of Yonge and Escott||Township||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link||Link|
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
The Forebears website will give you an extensive list of websites that could have information for people who lived in this county. Some sites cover just the county, some cover all of Ontario, and some cover all of Canada. Some sites are databases of names and facts about people; other sites cover background information such as maps, history, geography, or genealogy strategies and methods for the region.
- W.J. Miller collection - consists of the genealogical records of Leeds County, Ontario, that Miller provided. It is made up of charts, correspondence, certificates, announcements, invitations, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, photographs, wills, and land records, among other items.
History of Leeds and Grenville County
History of Leeds and Grenville-Online books from "Canada's Local Histories Online"
Our Roots This site contains two digial books:
- The History of Leeds and Grenville by Leavitt, Thaddeus and William Henry
- History of Leeds and Grenville, Ontario, from 1749 to 1879 : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Leeds Historical Society
Preserving the Cornerstones of our Past Leeds Historical Society Page14
Leeds County, Ontario: Original Townships
Leeds County, Ontario: Original Townships This link has the original townships and links to each township.
- Bastard now part of Rideau Lakes
- Elizabethtown now part of Elizabethtown-Kitley
- Escott Front of Escott now part of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, Rear of Escott now part of Athens
- Kitley now part of Elizabethtown-Kitley
- Lansdowne now part of Leeds and the Thousand Islands
- Leeds now part of Leeds and the Thousand Islands
- North Crosby now part of Rideau Lakes
- South Burgess now part of Rideau Lakes
- South Crosby now part of Rideau Lakes
- South Elmsley now part of Rideau Lakes
- Yonge Front of Yonge still exists, Rear of Yonge and Escott now part of Athens
Cemeteries of Leeds County
Canada GenWeb Cemetery Geneofun
St Patrick Roman Catholic Cemetery Canada Cemetery Genweb
Leeds and Grenville Gen Web Rootsweb Ancestry~on Leeds Grenville Cemeteries
Find a grave Leeds County, Ontario Graves
Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
This site lists all the cemeteries in Leeds County and other Ontario County but does not give links or addresses. Leeds COUNTY Cemetery List
Family History Library Books and Films -Leeds County Cemeteries
Herald Angel Anglican Church Cemetery record : Front of Leeds & Lansdowne Township, 1976
Written by Jean and Gordon D. Smithson and the Ontario Genealogical society Kington Branch
Book 371.373V3 no 361 Also on microfiche Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1992. 1 microfiche. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6100754 (1 fiche)
Some township of Leeds & Lansdowne Front cemeteries, Leeds Co. Ontario
Dulcemaine, Sand Bay, Allen, Marble Rock and Ontario Genealogical Society. Leeds & Grenville Branch
Subjects Ontario, Leeds, Front of Leeds and Lansdowne Township - Cemeteries
Book 371.373V3 no.357
On microfiche. Salt Lake City: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991. 1 microfiche. FHL US/CAN Fiche
6088364 (1 fiche)
Union Cemetery, lot 4, concession 4, township of Lansdowne, county of Leeds, Ontario, Canada
Subjects Ontario, Leeds, Front of Leeds and Lansdowne Township - Cemeteries
Book 371.373V3 no 367
On microfiche Salt Lake City Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991. 1 microfiche. FHL US/CAN Fiche
6088352 (1 fiche)