Laramie County, Wyoming Genealogy
Guide to Laramie County, Wyoming ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county was named for Jacques La Ramee, a French-Canadian fur-trader. It is located the southeast corner of the state.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Laramie County Courthouse
309 W 20th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Laramie County Website
County Clerk has marriage records from 1868 and land records.
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records.
Laramie County, Wyoming Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web site has additional information on Laramie county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Wyoming cemetery records by county.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Before Wyoming was a state in 1890, Wyoming was included in the 1850 Utah Territory. In the 1860 Census, it was enumerated as Nebraska Territory. The first Wyoming Territorial Census was taken in 1869, right after Wyoming Territory was created, and is available on microfilm at the Wyoming State Archives and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (FHL film 2261365). The 1870 and 1880 Federal Censuses included Wyoming Territory. See links listed below. State censuses were taken for Wyoming but they were mostly statistical censuses with very little individual information. See Wyoming Census for more information.
Territory and State Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1850 - United States Census, 1850 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1850 Utah Territory Census.
- 1860 - 1910 - Wyoming Compiled Census at Ancestry.com — ($), index and images
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming was included in the 1860 Nebraska Territory Census
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming Territory Census
- 1880 - United States Census, 1880 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming Territory Census
Federal Census Records[edit | edit source]
Federal Censuses were taken for the state of Wyoming starting in 1890, although no records survived. The 1900 Census is the next Federal Census available. For links to Federal Census indexes, see Wyoming Census.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wyoming denominations, view the Wyoming Church Records wiki page.
Ward and Branch Records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Laramie County has a District Court, County Circuit Court, and Municipal Court. District and County Circuit courts are in Cheyenne and municipal courts are in Burns, Cheyenne, and Pine Bluffs. The District Court handles civil matters over $7000 (Judgments, Divorces, Torts, Adoptions, etc.), Criminal Felonies, Juvenile Crimes and Neglect, Paternity and Child Support Enforcement Cases, Probate Matters such as Estates or Involuntary Commitments. The Circuit Court is a limited jurisdiction court. It hears all misdemeanor criminal cases and smaller civil cases. Judges are full time and they must be lawyers. Municipal Court administers the operation of the judicial branch of the City Government according to the ordinances adopted by the City Council.
Directories[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wyoming Land and Property for additional information about early Wyoming land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed. Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863 - 1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- History of Laramie County, Wyoming. 1987. By Jean Bastian. Dallas, Tex: Curtis Media Corp;
- Laramie County [Wyoming] History. 1989. By Jean Bastian, Sharon Field. Dallas, Texas : Curtis Media;
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Wyoming - shows boundary changes for Wyoming Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of wyoming - maps and atlases of Wyoming
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Online Collections[edit | edit source]
No known military units were raised specifically from Wyoming as it did not become a state until 1890. However men from the territories that became Wyoming fought in other units during the Civil War.
- 1861 -1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.— index
- 1883 List of Civil War Pensioners, Wyoming, 1883 - Index only
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.— index
World War I
World War II
- WWII Army and Army Air Force Casualties for Wyoming - Index only
For further information see Wyoming Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
For more information, see Wyoming Newspapers.
Wyoming Newspapers Online
- Wyoming Newspapers.
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Wyoming newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Wyoming Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Other Records[edit | edit source]
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
In most counties in Wyoming, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Wyoming- Laramie - Probate records.
School Records[edit | edit source]
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Wyoming tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
See also How to order Wyoming Vital Records, order electronically online $ or download an application for Wyoming Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. For records more than 50 years old visit Wyoming State Archives
- 1908 - 1966 Wyoming, Reclaim the Records, State Archives Vital Records, 1908-1966 at FamilySearch — index
Birth[edit | edit source]
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1839 - 1957 Wyoming, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Western States Marriage Index - Index, incomplete, over 214 marriages 7 Feb 1868 to 23 Aug 1899 list of counties included
- 1867 - 1941 Wyoming Marriages 1867-1941 at findmypast ($), index.
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at FamilySearch— Index
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at MyHeritage ($) — index.
- Laramie County, Wyoming Marriage Licenses At the bottom of the page is a link to search their hand written database prior to 1985.
It is free to look up the database
Death[edit | edit source]
- Wyoming Death Index at Wyoming State Archives — index (currently contains only A-E, it is a work in progress)
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Museums[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
County, Township and City Societies
Cheyenne Wyoming Genealogical and Historical Society
P.O. Box 2539
Cheyenne, WY 82003-2539
"Local research volunteers will give 30 minutes of time to research information located in the Laramie County Library Genealogy Room. Additional time needed to research data outside of the Genealogy Room may be billed per an agreement with the research volunteer." Requests for research should have the word "research" in the subject line of emails or on the envelopes of written requests.
Union Pacific Historical Society
1111 East Lincolnway
PO Box 4006
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001-4849
The Society was founded in 1984 to preserve the rich and colorful history of the railroad from its beginning in 1862 to the present. It is not connected with the railroad, only with preserving history.
Laramie County Historical Society
CHEYENNE WY 82003
Laramie Peekers Genealogical Society of Platte County, Wyoming
1108 21st Street
Wheatland, WY 82201
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Laramie County WYGebWeb
- Laramie County, WY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laramie_County,_Wyoming accessed 11/11/2016
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 766. Laramie County, Wyoming
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laramie County, Wyoming. Page 766. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 768; Wyoming Department of Health, “Vital Statistics Services,” https://health.wyo.gov/admin/vitalstatistics/ accessed 28 June 2017.
- Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Rev. ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 1992), 837; Alice M. Hetzel, U.S. Vital Statistics System: Major Activities and Developments, 1950-95 (Hyattsville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, ), 58.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Laramie County, Wyoming," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laramie_County,_Wyoming#Communities accessed 21 November 2016.
- On microfilm number: 2261365.
- ’'Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 761. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 761. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.