Lane County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Lane County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lane County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 11, 1851|
|Address||Lane County Courthouse|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Lane County Information
- 4 Historical Facts
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Biography
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court Records
- 5.6 Directories
- 5.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.8 Funeral Homes
- 5.9 Gazetteers
- 5.10 Genealogy
- 5.11 History
- 5.12 Land and Property
- 5.13 Maps
- 5.14 Military
- 5.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.16 Newspapers
- 5.17 Probate Records
- 5.18 Repositories
- 5.19 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.20 Societies
- 5.21 Taxation
- 5.22 Vital Records
- 6 Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 Lane County Oregon Genealogy References
Lane County, Oregon Record Dates
Lane County Courthouse
125 East 8th
Eugene, Or 97630
Deeds and Records Archives has marriage, land,
military and naturalization records from 1855.
Court Archives has probate and divorce records.
Clerk Circuit Court has court records. 
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Lane County Court House as of July/August 2012.
Lane County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
Lane County Courthouse for additional information about some addresses and records.
Lane County Information
Lane County's civil records start the following years:
Historical FactsJoseph Lane, the first governor of Oregon Territory.
28 January 1851: Lane county was created from Linn (Non-County Area 3) and Umpqua (Non-County Area 4) Counties.  (Source: Newberry Library)
11 January 1854: Part was taken to form Wasco
07 January 1852: Lost small area to creation of Douglas. (Ore. Terr. Laws 1851, 3rd reg. sess., p. 18)
22 December 1853: Gained from Umpqua (extinct); gained from Non-County Area 4; exchanged with Douglas. (Ore. Terr. Special Laws, 1853, 5th reg. sess., p. 13)
19 November 1885: Gained from Douglas. (Ore. Laws 1885, gen., 13th sp. sess., p. 3)
16 February 1887: Gained from Linn. (Ore. Laws 1887, gen., 14th reg. sess., p. 126)
19 Feb 1903: Gained from Douglas. (Ore. Laws 1903, 22nd reg. sess., pp. 115-116)
29 January 1907: Exchanged with Linn. (Ore. Laws 1907, gen., 24th reg. sess., ch. 3/pp. 12-14)
19 February 1907: Gained from Linn. (Ore. Laws 1907, gen., 24th reg. sess., ch. 63/pp. 114-115)
12 February 1915: Gained from Linn and exchanged with Douglas. Area annexed from Linn was approximately 120 acres along the Willamette River near the present town of Lancaster [too small to map]. (Ore. Laws 1915, gen., 28th reg. sess., ch. 65/pp. 74-77)
15 February 1923: Lost to Benton and Lincoln. (Ore. Laws 1923, gen., 32nd reg. sess., ch. 92/pp. 129-131)
3 March 1927: Boundary with Lincoln redefined to correct minor errors in 15 February 1923 description [no change]. (Ore. Laws 1927, gen., 34th reg. sess., ch. 278/pp. 350-351)
6 March 1931: Gained small area from Lincoln when boundary was redefined to correct an error in the previous description. (Ore. Laws 1931, gen., 36th reg. sess., ch. 288/p. 514)
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. Trivia Tidbits
Alvadore | Coburg | Cottage Grove | Creswell | Dunes City | Eugene | Florence | Junction City | Lowell | Oakridge| Springfield | Veneta | Westfir
Trivia Tidbits: Little biographic bits associated with the names of non-population localities.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Emigration and Immigration
Land and Property
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
- Lane County Archive and Records Center
- Lane County Historical Museum
- Lane County Public Service Building
- Oregon State Archives
- Oregon Historical Society
- University of Oregon, Knight Library
- Lane Education Service District
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them.
Rivers and Waterways
Lane County Historical Society
740 W 13th Ave
Cottage Grove Genealogical Society
PO Box 388
Cottage Grove, OR 97424
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1852-1921 - Oregon, Lane County, Marriage Records, 1852-1921 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cottage Grove Oregon Family History Center 531 S 10th St Cottage Grove, OR 97424 United States Location Map
- Eugene Oregon Family History Center 3550 W 18th Ave Eugene OR 97402 United States Location Map
- Florence Oregon Family History Center2705 Munsel Lake Rd Florence OR 97439 United States Location Map
- Oakridge Oregon Family History Center48703 McFarland Rd Oakridge OR 97463 United States Location Map
- Lane County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Lane County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives (backup site)
Lane County Oregon Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Klamath County, Oregon page 573, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.; Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002 WorldCat 50140092, FHL Book 973 D27e 2002
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.