Lafayette County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Lafayette County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lafayette County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||January 31, 1846|
|Address|| Lafayette County Courthouse|
626 Main Street
Darlington, WI 53530;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Lafayette County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Lafayette County Courthouse
626 Main Street
Darlington, WI 53530;
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1860,
marriage records from 1847, death records from
1877 and land records from 1840;
Clerk Court has divorce and court records;
Register in Probate has probate records 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Lafayette County Townships, Cities, Towns, and Villages WIGenWeb Project
- Biographies on Various Families in Lafayette County WIGenWeb project
- Biographical Index: History Of Lafayette County, Wisconsin, 1881 USGenWeb Archives
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Lafayette Co. Cemeteries Surname Lookup WIGenWeb Project
- Lafayette County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Lafayette County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Lafayette County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company I
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company I
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company A
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company A
Naturalization and Citizenship
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Freeport, Illinois newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Lafayette County. The Rock Island Public Library in Rock Island, Illinois provides free access to this database at its library.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Lafayette County Genealogical Society
PO Box 183
Darlington, WI 53530
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Lafayette County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Lafayette County WIGenWeb project
- Lafayette County Archives USGenWeb project
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 757 Lafayette County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).