Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||November 7, 1871|
|Address|| Lac qui Parle County Courthouse|
600 6th Street
Madison, Mn 56256
Lac qui Parle County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota Record Dates
County recorder has birth, marriage, death and military records
Court Administrator has divorce, probate and court records
County Assessor has land records. 
- 1871--Lac Qui Parle County was created 7 November 1871 from Redwood County. County seat: Madison 
- For a brief history of how Lac Qui Parle County was named, click here. Then select Lac Qui Parle County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Bellingham | Boyd | Dawson | Louisburg | Madison | Marietta | Nassau | Ortonville
Agassiz Township | Arena Township | Augusta Township | Baxter Township | Camp Release Township | Cerro Gordo Township | Freeland Township | Garfield Township | Hamlin Township | Hantho Township | Lac qui Parle Township | Lake Shore Township | Madison Township | Manfred Township | Maxwell Township | Mehurin Township | Perry Township | Providence Township | Riverside Township | Ten Mile Lake Township | Walter Township | Yellow Bank Township
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Garfield Lutheran Church, Madison
- Records of Garfield Lutheran Church, Madison, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Madison Lutheran Church
- Records of Madison Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Riverside Lutheran Church, Dawson
- Records of Riverside Lutheran Church, Dawson, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Pauli Lutheran Church, Bellingham
- Records of St. Pauli Lutheran Church, Bellingham, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Lac qui Parle – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Lac Qui Parle County Historical Society
250 South 8th Ave
Madison MN 56256
Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
Social Science 141
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Lac Qui Parle County Historical Society
PO Box 124
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota page 365, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.