Missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(Redirected from LDS Missionaries)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|The Church of Jesus Christ|
of Latter-day Saints
Many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints served as missionaries for their faith. Various records exist that document their service and provide genealogical information. Some of the resources available for research are:
- Early Mormon Missionaries is a database hosted by the Church History Library that documents those Latter-day Saints who served missions from 1930 to the early 20th century.
- Missionary Record Index, 1830–1971. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. (FHL films 1913079–102).
- This is a card index that lists full-time missionaries set apart up to 1971. It also serves as an index to missionary registers, some of which are available through the Church History Library. Each card shows the name, birth date and place, parents’ names, home ward and stake, dates set apart, name of the person who performed the setting apart, the mission, a reference to missionary records, and sometimes the date released.
- Some of the records indexed are Historian's Office missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, circa 1925 and Missionary Department missionary registers, 1860-1959, both available online through the Church History Catalog. An online index to the latter collection is also available through FamilySearch as the Utah, Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1937.
- The Early Church Information File (cited fully on the "Biography") indexes many early missionary records. The microfilmed missionary records are no longer available in the Family History Library. The records are now available only at the Church History Library.
- The National Archives of Australia Website has an interesting resource listing "Mormon missionaries - Desirous of proceeding to Australia". If you enter the word "Mormon" into the keyword search box it will bring up the link to look at a record of correspondence between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the Australian government.
- Members of the United Brethren Baptized by Wilford Woodruff