Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia Genealogy
|Federated States of Micronesia Wiki Topics|
|Federated States of Micronesia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Kosrae ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
In 1885, after a dispute between the Spanish Empire and the German Empire, finally resolved under the terms of the Vatican State, the Spanish Navy took effective control of the island. After the Spanish defeat against the United States in the war of 1898, on February the 2nd 1899 Spain sold the Carolinas Islands to Germany. The island came under the control of the Empire of Japan after World War I.
In 1945, administration over Kosrae passed to the United States, which ruled the island as part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. During the Trust Territory period, Kosrae was initially administered as one of the municipalities of the Pohnpei District, but in 1977 became a separate district. When the Micronesian constitution was defeated in the districts of Palau and the Marshall Islands, Kosrae joined the remaining districts Yap, Chuuk and Pohnpei to form the Federated States of Micronesia.
Walter Scott Wilsons Outline of Kosraen History
Kosrae Elak Sra Onak Project. The Elak Sra Orak Book. Vol. 1, issue 1. Office of History and Culture, Tofol, Kosrae State, Federated States of Micronesia. August 2003. ed. Paliknoa I. Sigrah. Funded by the National Park Service.
- Skeletal genealogies of Kosrae
- Photocopy at the College of Micronesia FSM Library, Pacific Collection. Palikir, Pohnpei.
- Scanned copy on FHC computer in Lelu and Barrigada, Guam.
Takin Sou. Kosraean Family Trees. Books 1 and 2. Eldon M. Buck, ed. Department of Education, Kosrae State. Federated States of Micronesia. 2002?
- Descendants of the first five converts to the Congregational Church on Kosare.
- Copies at College of Micronesia FSM Library, Pacific Collection.
- Palikir, Pohnpei, schools in Kosrae, scanned copy at College of Micronesia, Kosrae Campus, library.
- Scanned copy on FHC computers in Lelu, Kosrae and Barrigada, Guam.
Walter Scott Wilson, Land, Activity and Social Organization of Lelu, Kusaie. 1968. Dissertation: University of Pennsylvania. Appendix A and C
- 1961 and 1964 Census of Lelu
- Genealogies of the descendants of the Kings of Kosrae
- Copies at MARC, Lelu and Barrigada FHC and Family History Support Office
- Scanned copy on FHC computers in Barrigada, Guam.
- 1800-1986 - Birth and death records from the Trust Territory Archives are on microfilm at the United States National Archives, the University of Hawaii, Manoa, Pacific Collection and the National Archives of the FSM at Palikir, Pohnpei.
- Currently being digitized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Some vital records for Kosrae are included in the Pohnpei Civil Registration 1948-2009 as Kosrae was part of the Pohnpei district until 1977.
- Indexed and images online at FamilySearch.org