Kootenai County, Idaho Genealogy
|Kootenai County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Founded||April 17, 1907|
|County Seat||Coeur d'Alene|
|Address|| Kootenai County Courthouse |
PO Box 9000
501 Government Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83816-9000
Phone: (208) 769-4441
Fax: (208) 667-8534
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Cemeteries
- 7 Census
- 8 Church
- 9 County Commissioners' Records
- 10 Court Records
- 11 History
- 12 Land and Property
- 13 Maps
- 14 Military
- 15 Miscellaneous Series
- 16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 17 Newspapers
- 18 Obituaries
- 19 Pension Records
- 20 Probate
- 21 School Records
- 22 Taxation
- 23 Vital Records
- 24 Societies and Libraries
- 25 Websites
- 26 References
The county was named for Kootenai tribe. The County Seat is Coeur d'Alene and was founded December 22, 1864. It is located in the north area of the state.
Kootenai County, Idaho Record Dates
Kootenai County Courthouse
PO Box 9000
501 Government Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83816-9000
Phone: (208) 769-4441
Fax: (208) 667-8534
Created in 1864, but not organized until 1881.
County Clerk has birth and death records 1907-1912
marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1881. 
21 February 1907 -- Bonner County created from part of Kootenai County
23 January 1915 -- Benewah County created from part of Kootenai County
23 January 1915 -- Boundary County created from parts of Bonner and Kootenai Counties
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Kootenai County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Kootenai County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Kootenai County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers. They are also available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Coeur d'Alene.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Idaho Cemeteries for more information.|
There are many cemeteries in Kootenai County. For a list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Kootenai County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
For the cemeteries in or immediately adjacent to the cities, please see the city pages for the cities listed above.
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)
- In 1930, Kootenai County was part of Northwestern States Mission. There were no stake organized in the area at the time.
- 1864--Kootenai County was created 22 December 1864 from Nez Perce County. County seat: Coeur d'Alene
County Commissioners' Records
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability.
Some of the early court records of Kootenai County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the Kootenai County courthouse in Coeur d'Alene, and can be accessed by making a visit there.
Some of the records of the courts of Kootenai County that have been microfilmed include:
- Court records, 1881-1905; journal, 1905-1927
- Kootenai County, Idaho criminal index, 1881-1970
- Power of attorney, 1883-1943; index, 1891-1988
- Register of actions, 1886-1929; index, 1893-1948
- Judgment records, 1882-1933
- Judgments, 1884-1885
A History of Kootenai County with brief accounts of some towns is available at the official Kootenai County website.
Two digitized books are available online at archive.org:
- An illustrated history of north Idaho : embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone counties, state of Idaho
- Inventory of the County Archives of Idaho, Vol. 8. (Note: The book was written in 1939 so it only catalogs materials prior to that year.)
A descriptive booklet, written c. 1896, The Kootenai country : Fort Steele, Libby Creek, Yakt, Rossland, Nelson, Kaslo, Slocan, Montana, Idaho, British Columbia, reached by Great Northern Railway from the east and west is available at Montana Memories.
Land and Property
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Kootenai County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Couer d'Alene, Idaho.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed many county records of Kootenai County and these can be accessed by visiting the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
- Family Maps of Kootenai County, Idaho (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- An 1895 map of Kootenai and surrounding counties is available online.
- A digital Kootenai County Idaho map is available online.
- Map of Kootenai County, Idaho is available online.
The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for Fort Sherman are available on roll 118 of "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123). The schedules list veterans and their widows who served as Union soldiers in the Civil War. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
World War I draft registration cards, 1917-1918, for Kootenai County have been microfilmed. Copies of these records are available at the Family History Library (their microfilm numbers 1452216 and 1452217) and are also available online at Ancestry.com, for a subscription fee. The original cards are maintained in the Southeast Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in East Point, Georgia and have been microfilmed by the National Archives as their Microcopy M1509.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed Military Discharges Recorded in Kootenai County, Idaho, (1865-1989) and Discharge Records (1917-1927) copies of which can be viewed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers.
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere.
Both the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah have copies of the miscellaneous record of Kootenai County. The originals are held in the Kootenai County courthouse in Couer d'Alene, Idaho and can be accessed by visiting there. Copies in the Idaho State Archives are available for viewing in Boise. Those held by the Family History Library can be viewed either at the Library in Salt Lake City or at any of its Family History Centers.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Records of the naturalization of people born outside of the United States were often kept in the county courthouses of the respective counties of Idaho. Kootenai County naturalization records, 1882-1939, are included in a Naturalization Index at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, available online.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has microfilmed several Kootenai Naturalization and Citizenship records which may or may not add to the records found in the Idaho State Archives. These films can be accessed in the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers.
Old Age Pensions were provided by the State of Idaho from 1931 to 1936. The original papers for several counties have been transferred to the Idaho State Archives in Boise and have been indexed. Kootenai County Old Age Pensions are included in that index.
Online Probate Records
- 1857 – 1989 Idaho Wills and Probate Records 1857-1989 at Ancestry.com $
Existing probate records are usually housed at the county courthouse in the county in which the transaction took place, therefore, Kootenai County records should be available for viewing in the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho courthouse.
The Idaho State Archives has also microfilmed many early Kootenai probate records and these can be viewed at the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed some school census records from Kootenai County (1898-1910) which can be viewed at their headquarters in Boise, Idaho.
Inheritance Tax Records (1908-1911) have been microfilmed by the Family History Library in Salt Lake. These records are available at the Family History Library and their affiliate family history centers.
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch.
The Birth Registers for Kootenai County, 1907-1911, have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Kootenai County are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under the subject Idaho for more details.
Birth and Christening records from Kootenai County (3227) may be found among the Idaho Births and Christenings online
- 1800-1987 - Idaho, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Nearly 13,500 marriages, 1881-1938, are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
There are 11,931 marriages from Kootenai County online in the Idaho Marriages.
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
The death registers for Kootenai County, 1907-1911 have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City, Utah.
After 1911, deaths occurring in Kootenai County are included in the state-wide registration program. These records are restricted for a period of fifty years from the time of the individual's death but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under Idaho for details.
Copies of death certificates from 1911-1954 are on microfilm and can be used at the Idaho State Archives, the Family History Library and several other locations.
A state-wide index to Idaho Deaths, 1911-1956 is available online. Efforts to expand this index to 1960 are underway. Another version is the US Genweb Idaho Death Index 1911-1956.
There are 948 deaths or burials in Kootenai County among the Idaho deaths and burials which are online.
Societies and Libraries
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Coeur D'Alene Public Library
702 E Front Ave
Coeur D'Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 769-2315
- Post Falls Public Library
821 N Spokane
Post Falls, ID 83854
Phone: (208) 773-1506
- Kootenai-Shoshone District Library
8385 N Government Wy
Hayden, ID 83835
Phone: (208) 772-5612
- Kootenai County Genealogical Society
- Museum of North Idaho
P.O. Box 812
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-0812
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- The Kootenai County ID GenWeb Project, a member of The IDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Kootenai County, Idaho Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kootenai County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kootenai_County,_Idaho
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kootenai County, Idaho. Page 177-180 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 180-181.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kootenai, Idaho page 178, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03