Knowlton, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Knowlton, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Knowlton St Clement Kent
|Poor Law Union||Eastry|
|Parish registers: 1711|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1569|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
KNOWLTON (St. Clement), a parish, in the union and hundred of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 4¼ miles SE from Wingham.
Knowlton is a hamlet and civil parish (now abolished) which is now within Goodnestone civil parish in the Dover district of Kent, see Knowlton Kent Wikipedia
Knowlton St Clement was an Ancient Parish and is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Knowlton, Kent in the care of the Churches Conservation trust. See St Clement's Church Knowlton Wikipedia and Churches Conservation Trust
The church has been designated a Grade I listed building by English Heritage. The church dates from the 14th century and was the private chapel to Knowlton Court which later became a Parish Church and was restored in 1855 by William White.British Listed Building
The church has been cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust since 1 December 1991.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Knowlton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|Knowlton Online Parish Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 708-710. Date accessed: 19 August 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.