Kirstead, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Kirstead, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Loddon and Clavering|
|Parish registers: 1663|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1686|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
KIRSTEAD (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 7½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Norwich; containing, with the merged parish of Langhale. There is a place of worship for Baptists.  "The name may also be spelled Kirkstead. It included a parish called Langhale or Langhall."
Kirstead St Margaret is an Ancient parish in the Brooke deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Kirstead, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Kirstead, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 300/ 1-7
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Loddon and Clavering Union was incorporated under the terms of 'An Act for the better Relief and Employment of the Poor in the Hundreds of Loddon and Clavering, 4 Geo. III, cap. 90, 1764. A House of Industry was built at Heckingham and this was altered and enlarged in 1836 when it was adopted as the Union workhouse. Loddon and Clavering Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 13 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 22 October 1984 (C/GP 12/1, 5-11 273-276), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/8), 26 August 1964 (C/GP 12/70), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/277-278), 4 June 2009 (ACC 2009/74 numbered C/GP 12/279) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP 12/1-7, 9-13, 15, 19, 22, 25-37, 39-41, 43-49, 51-54, 56-58, 60-77, 86, 89-100, 202-209, 211, 213, 215, 217, 219, 221-223, 250, 277-279 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 13, see C/GC 13.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Kirstead on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 701-706. Date accessed: 16 April 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Towns and Parishes", GenUKI
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.