Kinson, Dorset Genealogy
Before the Norman conquest the name was Cyneston, the Saxon name for a farm. By the time of Domesday the name had changed to Chinestanestone. The name changed a number of times over the next 900 years Kynestanton - Kinestaneston – Kenstaneston – Kinstanton – Kynston – Kingston How – Kingston until finally settling on Kinson.
St Andrews, Kinson
|Poor Law Union||Poole|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Canford Magna and Poole|
KINGSTON, or Kinson, a district chapelry, in the parish of Canford-Magna, union of Poole, hundred of Cogdean, Wimborne division of Dorset, 1¾ mile (S.) from Corfe-Castle; containing 846 inhabitants. The river Stour runs on the northern side of the chapelry. A rent-charge of £403. 10. has been awarded as a commutation of the impropriate tithes, and one of £380 in lieu of the vicarial; there is a glebe of 19 acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built iu 1833, and is a handsome edifice, containing the remains of Sir Frederick Cavendish Ponsonby, governor of Malta.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Kinson Tythe Map - Streets of Bournemouth
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- History of Kinson - A Vision of Britain through Time
- Samuel Lewis (editor) (1848). "Kingston - Kingstone-Winslow". A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51078. Retrieved 08 March 2011.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 24 June 2012.