Kings County, California Genealogy
|Kings County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||March 22, 1893|
|Address|| Kings County Courthouse|
1400 W Lacey Blvd
Hanford, CA 93230
Phone 559.582.3211 Kings County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 5.27 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 5.28 Websites
- 5.29 References
Kings County, California Record Dates
Kings County Courthouse
1400 W Lacey Blvd
Hanford, CA 93230
County Clerk has birth marriage, death, divorce, probate,
court land and naturalization records from 1893
The county was named for Kings River after which the county was named. The County Seat is Hanford and was founded March 22, 1893. It is located in the central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Kings County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Kings County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Kings County Biographies (CAGenWeb Project)
The following web site may have additional information on Kings County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Kings County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
- 1870, 1910 - Index to Kings County Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Kings County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Index to Kings County Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and Records
- 1886 - Civil War Veterans, McPherson Post No. 51, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1886 - Civil War Veterans, Union Post No. 99, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Kings County WWII Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Kings County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Kings County Deceased Vietnam War Veterans (CAGenWeb Project)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Kings County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Kings County Obituary Index (Genealogy Trails)
- Kings County Obituary Indexes (CAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Kings County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Kings - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Corcoran California Family History Center
- Hanford California Family History Center
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- Birth and Death Indexes Searches - free. (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1910 - Kings County Birth Index (Genealogy Trails)
- 1800 - 2007 - California, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1902 - 1915 - Kings County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- Kings County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Kings County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Kings County, California Genealogy Trails
- Kings County, CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kings County, California. Page 85 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kings County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_County,_California 5/03/2017.