Kentucky Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Kentucky, United States|
|Flag of Kentucky|
|Location of Kentucky|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of an index of probate records from 1727 to 1990, created in Kentucky county courts. Probate records include wills, bonds, inventories of estates and other records.
Some probate records were recorded in books which may have carried many titles, such as:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Probate records may include: petitions, inventories, accounts, decrees, and other court documents.
- Name of testator or deceased
- Names of heirs such as spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Name of executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Residence of testator
- Document and recording dates (Used to approximate event dates i.e. A will was usually written near time of death)
Each county began keeping probate records from the time the county was created. Wills are often placed or transcribed into a bound volume.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings to probate and will records for Kentucky, click here.
As of February 2015 the following records have been indexed.
|County||# of Indexed Records||Years Covered|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the deceased
- The approximate date of death
- The approximate date of probate
- The place where your ancestor lived
- The names of family members or associates who may be named in the probate record
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Volume Title and Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s probate record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use probate records to identify heirs and relatives
- You may be able to use the probate record to learn about adoptions or guardianship of any minor children and dependents
- Use the document (such as the will) or the recording dates to approximate a death date
- Use the information in the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records, since the probates exist for an earlier time period
- Use the birth date or age along with the residence or place of birth of the deceased to locate census, church, and land records
- Use the occupations listed to find other types of records such as employment or military records
- Probate record may include information about land transactions
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Check for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Kentucky.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. County courthouses, Kentucky.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.