Kentucky, United States Genealogy
|Kentucky Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Kentucky Information[edit | edit source]
In 1775, Daniel Boone ushered the first settlers into Kentucky along the Wilderness Road, through the Cumberland Gap. On 1 June 1792, Kentucky became the 15th state to join the Union. A large migration into the state occurred around this time; extending into the early 1800's. Originally part of Virginia (District of Kentucky: Fayette, Jefferson, and Lincoln counties), Kentucky lies in the east, south-central region of the United States. The State currently includes 120 counties with Frankfort as its capitol. 
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Kentucky Research
Links to articles on getting started with Kentucky research.
Kentucky Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Kentucky research.
Kentucky Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
Kentucky Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
- Cumberland River
- Green River
- Kentucky River
- Licking River
- Mississippi River
- Ohio River
- Tennessee River
- Louisville and Portland Canal
- Buffalo Trace
- Catawba Trail
- Cumberland and Great Lake Trail
- Cumberland and Ohio Falls Trail
- Great Valley Road
- Kentucky Road
- Maysville Turnpike
- Nashville-Saline River Trail
- Russellville-Shawneetown Trail
- Tennessee, Ohio and Great Lakes Trail
- Warriors Path
- Wilderness Road
- Zane's Trace
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Genealogical Society - Founded in 1973 to foster excellence in preserving, sharing, and connecting researchers with Kentucky ancestors
- Kentucky African American Research - Family Search Kentucky African American Resources
- Kentucky Ancestors - Free Pub:Case Studies and Guides for conducting Kentucky Genealogical research
- Cyndi's List - Kentucky genealogy sites on the internet
- Kentucky Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Kentucky
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Kentucky
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Kentucky genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Kentucky
- Kentucky Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kentucky" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.