Kent County, Rhode Island Genealogy
Guide to Kent County, Rhode Island ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about a county in the state of Rhode Island. For other uses, see Kent (disambiguation).
|Kent County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
|Founded||June 11, 1759|
|Named for: Kent, England|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Kent County Courthouse
222 Quaker Lane;
West Warwick, RI 02893
(Town and City Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial, probate and land records
(Five twns in Kent Co) Towns Organized Before 1800; Coventry 1741, East Greenwich 1677, Warwick 1642-3, West Greenwich 1741
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
For animated maps illustrating Rhode Island County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps" (1643-1963) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Rhode Island Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Kent County, Rhode Island Genealogy census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Military History and Records
Online Probate Records
See also How to order Rhode Island Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- 1630 - 1945 - Rhode Island Town Clerk Vital and Town Records 1630-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Rhode Island Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 433,
Greenville Public Library,
573 Putnam Pike,
Greenville, RI 02828
- Rhode Island Historical Society,
110 Benevolent St,
- Rhode Island State Library,
State House, 2nd floor,
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2473
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library,
121 Hope Street,
Providence, RI 02906
TEL: (401) 273-8107
- East Greenwich Free Library,
82 Pierce Street East,
Greenwich, RI 02818
- Lincoln Public Library,
Old River Road,
Lincoln, RI 02865,
Phone: (401) 333-2422
- Louttit Memorial Library,
274 Victory Highway,
West Greenwich, RI 02817
Phone: (401) 397-3434
- Robert H Champlin Library,
1043 Main Street,
West Warwick, RI 02893,
Phone: (401) 828-3750
- Warwick Public Library,
600 Sandy Lane,
Warwick, RI 02886
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Kent County, RI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Kent County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County. (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Kent County
- Kent County RI Genealogy
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].