Kent County, Delaware Genealogy
- This article is about a county in state of Delaware. For other uses, see Kent (disambiguation)
Guide to Kent County, Delaware ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|New Castle County, Delaware|
Location in the state of Delaware
Location of Delaware in the U.S.
|Founded||August 8, 1673|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Kent County, Delaware Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 4.1 Populated Places
- 4.2 Neighboring Counties
- 4.3 Native American Reservations
- 4.4 Populated Places
- 4.5 Kent County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
- 4.5.1 Bible Records
- 4.5.2 Cemeteries
- 4.5.3 Census
- 4.5.4 Church Records
- 4.5.5 Court Records
- 4.5.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 4.5.7 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 4.5.8 Gazetteers
- 4.5.9 Genealogy
- 4.5.10 History
- 4.5.11 Land and Property
- 4.5.12 Maps
- 4.5.13 Migration
- 4.5.14 Military
- 4.5.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.5.16 Newspapers
- 4.5.17 Occupations
- 4.5.18 Periodicals
- 4.5.19 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 4.5.20 Probate
- 4.5.21 Repositories
- 4.5.22 Schools
- 4.5.23 Taxation
- 4.5.24 Vital Records
- 4.6 Societies and Libraries
- 4.7 Websites
- 4.8 References
Kent County, Delaware Record Dates
Kent County Courthouse
414 Federal Street
Dover, De 19901
Clerk of Peace has marriage records.
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records.
Recorder of Deeds has land records from 1680.
Register of Wills has probate records. 
Kent County Levy Court
555 Bay Road
Dover, DE 19901
Kent County, Delaware Historical Facts
- Renamed from St. Johns County, 17 December 1682.
- Interesting note - Kent County is one of few counties bordering another county with same same across state line, Kent County, Maryland
The county was named for Kent, an English county. The county seat is Dover and the county was created August 8, 1683. The County is located in the central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Delaware County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Delaware County Boundary Maps" (1673-1841) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Native American Reservations
Hundreds: More information can be found at Delaware Hundreds.
- Dover Air Force Base
Kent County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
The following web sites may have additional information on Kent County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Delaware cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Kent County, Delaware Genealogy census records online, see: Delaware Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- USGS GNIS
Land and Property
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Delaware, Kent County on page 126.]
- 1861-1865 - Delaware Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship
Index and Images
Kent County, Delaware Probate records, 1680-1800 on line at  Ancestry.com $ original data: Valinger, Leon de, com/ Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800.
- DeValinger, Leon. A Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800. Dover, Delaware: Public Archives Commission, 1944. (Family History Library film 1035860 item 4; fiche 6051248.) Facsimile reproduction of the original (Family History Library book 975.14 P28d.)
- Indexes to probate records 1801-1833, in three volumes by Mary Marshall Brewer (Lewes,Del.: Delmarva Roots, 2002.)
- 1784-2007 - Delaware, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1650 - 1974 Delaware Vital Records, 1650-1974 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
The Greater Harrington Historical Society
108-110 Fleming St
Harrington DE 19952
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Kent County, DE History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Delaware Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Kent County DEGenWeb Project, an member of The DEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Kent County
- Kent County, Delaware Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 109-117. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), New Castle, Delaware Page 121 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kent County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_County,_Delaware 04/27/2017.