Katrineholm Parish, Södermanland, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Katrineholm Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
Katrineholm Municipality is a municipality in Södermanland County in southeast Sweden. Its seat is located in the city of Katrineholm.
The present municipality was created in 1971, when the City of Katrineholm that was instituted in 1917 was amalgamated with surrounding rural municipalities.
|Katrineholm Parish, Södermanland, Sweden Genealogy|
|Pastorat||1961-1961 Stora Malm and Katrineholm, 1962- Katrineholm|
|Tingslag||1961-1970 Oppunda and Villåttinge domsaga|
|Domsaga||1961-1970 Oppunda and Villåttinge, 1971- Katrineholm|
|Kommun||1961-1970 Katrineholms stad, 1971- Katrineholm|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/ULA/12165|
|National Archive SVAR||link|
|SCB Congregation map||link|
|Open Street map||link|
If you are doing research before 1961 see the place names on the Stora Malm page.
To see what kind of place it is you will need a Swedish Gazetteer.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Södermanland Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1640-1860 at FamilySearch.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Södermanland Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Södermanland and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Jurisdictional Information from: Riksarkivet. "Katrineholm Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). May 2012 http://www.nad.riksarkivet.se/