Kansas, United States Genealogy
|Kansas Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Kansas ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Kansas became the thirty-fourth state admitted to the United States on January 29, 1861. Kansas was created from Kansas Territory and is located in the Midwestern region of the United States. The Capital city of Kansas is Topeka.
Getting Started with Kansas Research
Links to articles on getting started with Kansas research.
Kansas Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Kansas research.
Kansas Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Extinct, Renamed, or Ceded Counties: Arapahoe (1855) | Arapahoe (1883) | Billings | Breckenridge | Broderick | Buffalo | Calhoun | Davis | Dorn | El Paso | Foote | Fremont | Garfield | Godfrey | Howard | Hunter | Kansas | Lykins | Madison | McGee | Montana | Oro | Otoe | Peketon | Richardson | Sequoyah | Seward (old) | Shirley | St. John | Washington (old) | Weller | Wise
Kansas Migration Routes
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- Cyndi's List - Kansas genealogy sites on the internet
- Kansas Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Kansas
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Kansas
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Kansas genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Kansas
- Kansas Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kansas" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.