Kalamazoo Michigan Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
At the Kalamazoo Stake Family History Center we welcome all who are interested in learning more about their family history. Our friendly staff mrmbers are happy to share center resources and teach you how to use them. These would include our Michigan microfilm collection, our free access to many subscription sites, familysearch, and a varied collection of rare books. We look forward to your visit!
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area Zhang Legacy Collections Center, Archives and Regional History
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1112 N Drake Rd Kalamazoo MI 49006 United States
- 1-269-342-1906 (Family History Center)
- Tuesday: 6:00pm-8:00pm
Closed the week of Thanksgiving: Nov. 19-25, 2017
Closed Christmas/New Year Holidays: Dec. 24 - Jan 6, 2017
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness: Please call 616-334-1288 (Char) for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. (Note to FHC: Not all FHCs have access to this portal. If you do not, you will want to remove this entire bullet. If you do have access to it, just remove this text in italics.)
Hardware and Equipment
- (Include the resources you have to help individuals do their research - computers, microfilm readers, printers, etc. )
Staff Research Specialties
Charlene Miller (Temple & Family History Consultant – Lead)
· Navigates Familysearch.org, Ancestry.com & other genealogical websites, indexing, organizing family history, verifying family data, & more.
Bob & Linda Akins (Temple & Family History Consultants)
· Bob – Familysearch.org & other genealogical websites, Mennonite ancestors, records from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Germany, & Switzerland. Speaks German.
· Linda – Familysearch.org, Ancestry.com, & other genealogical websites, Moravian ancestors, history records from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, & Germany.
Roger Drong (Family History Community Volunteer)
· Navigates Familysearch.org & Ancestry.com, other genealogical websites, Wiki research, finding maps related to ancestors, Scandinavian, Polish ancestors, mainland Europe; Reads Old German & Russian. DNA testing used for genealogy.
Doug & Mari Fleming (Temple & Family History Consultants)
· Doug – Help beginners navigate Familysearch.org & Ancestory.com, create pedigree & family group data.
· Mari – Help beginners navigate Familysearch.org & Ancestory.com, create family group sheets & family pedigree data, work other genealogical websites; indexing, Find A Grave, computer skills for research,
· Reads Spanish, some Mexican Ancestry records
Ivan Gilbert (Temple and Family History Consultant)
· Michigan Counties: Barry, Calhoun, Eaton, Kalamazoo, Newago, & Van Buren.
· USA: Connecticut, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania.
· Foreign: Canada, England, Germany, & Netherlands.
· DNA testing used for genealogy for over 10 years. Navigates Familysearch.org, Ancestry.com, FamilyTreeDNA.com & other genealogical websites. Digital copying and uploading of old family photos and slides to software.
Linda Poveda (Temple & Family History Consultant)
· Navigate familysearch.org, Ancestry.com and other genealogical websites. Does some Revolutionary War research, Tories, Records from Canada, Central &South America Ancestors, research skills,
· Reads, writes, & speaks Spanish.
Margaret Russell (Family History Community Consultant)
· Research history with British India (East India Trading Company), England (UK), early America, Finland, Ireland, and some of Sweden and Norway. Citing sources, worked with wider range of evidence when birth & death records can’t be found. Research skills with computer.
Resources in the Local Area Zhang Legacy Collections Center, Archives and Regional History
Zhang Legacy Collections Center, Archives and Regional History. (wmich.edu/library) 269-387-8490, for information. Address: 1650 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo, MI 49008. (This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)