Josephine County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Josephine County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Josephine County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||January 22, 1856|
|County Seat||Grants Pass|
|Address|| Josephine County Courthouse|
500 NW 6th Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526
Josephine County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Records Held at the Courthouse
- 4 Quick Facts
- 5 Places / Localities
- 6 Resources
- 6.1 Cemeteries
- 6.2 Census
- 6.3 Church History and Records
- 6.4 Court Records
- 6.5 Gazetteers
- 6.6 History
- 6.7 Land and Property
- 6.8 Maps
- 6.9 Military
- 6.10 Newspapers
- 6.11 Probate
- 6.12 Rivers and Waterways
- 6.13 Taxation
- 6.14 Vital Records
- 7 Societies and Libraries
- 8 Websites
- 9 Josephine County Oregon Genealogy References
Josephine County, Oregon Record Dates
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1857.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, probate and court records. 
Records Held at the Courthouse
- County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Josephine County Court House as of September 2005.
- Record Loss:
Named for Virginia Josephine Rollins Ort, the first white woman to settle in southern Oregon.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
The following are locations in the county:
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
Defunct Post Offices
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Church History and Records
Land and Property
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Historic Oregon Newspapers as a division of the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program has digitzied more than 644,000 pages of newspapers throughout Oregon. Dates range from 1846-1922 with selected issues continuing through 1973.
Of particular interest to Josephine County researchers:
Grants Pass Daily Courier (Grants Pass)
Rogue River Courier (Grants Pass)
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cave Junction Oregon Family History Center309 S Junction Ave Cave Junction OR 97523 United States Location Map
- Grants Pass Oregon Family History Center 1969 Williams Hwy Grants Pass OR 97527 United States Location on Map
- Josephine County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Josephine County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (Backup site)
Josephine County Oregon Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Josephine County, Oregon page 573, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Josephine County, Oregon," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_County,_Oregon, accessed 10 November 2018.