Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Johnston County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Johnston County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 County Records
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Historical Timeline
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Johnston County is located in the Central portion of North Carolina and was named for Royal Governor of North Carolina Gabriel Johnston.
Johnston County Courthouse
207 East Johnston Street
P O Box 118
Smithfield, NC 27577-4515
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and court records
Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 118
Smithfield , NC 27520
Clerk Superior Court
P.O. Box 297
Smithfield, NC 27577
Phone: (919) 209-5400
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
- North Carolina, Historical Records Survey, Cemetery Inscription Card Index at FamilySearch — index and images
For tips on accessing Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census. Links to Free, Online Census Records from 1790-1940 - johnstoncountygenealogy.org/resources/resource.asp?id=5
- Mill Creek. Established by 1808.
- Rocky Spring. Constituted 1793.
- Three Creeks. Established by 1789.
Church of England
- St. Patrick's Parish. Established 1756.
Links to Court Records - http://johnstoncountygenealogy.org/resources/resource.asp?id=7
- [Humphries] Holcomb, Brent Howard. Ancestors and Descendants of Charles Humphries (d. 1837) of Union District, South Carolina, 1677-1984. Columbia, S.C., 1985. FHL Book 929.273 H889hb.
- June 28, 1746 - Royal Governor Gabriel Johnston signs legislation creating the County of Johnston.
- Oct. 18, 1775 - Independent North Carolina's Provincial Council holds its first meeting at Johnston County Courthouse (Smithfield).
- May 9, 1777 - Town of Smithfield chartered by the N.C. General Assembly.
- May 3-15, 1779 - N.C. General Assembly meets in Smithfield.
- Feb. 16, 1861 - Town of Boon Hill chartered - renamed Princeton in 1873.
- March 19-21, 1865 - Civil War Battle of Bentonville rages as the "bloodiest battle ever fought on North Carolina soil."
- April 12, 1869 - Town of Clayton chartered.
- Feb. 11, 1873 - Town of Selma chartered.
- Jan. 30, 1874 - Town of Pine Level chartered.
- March 7, 1887 - Towns of Benson and Kenly chartered.
- March 11, 1889 - Town of Four Oaks chartered.
- May 1, 1899 - Town of Jerome chartered - renamed Micro in 1905.
- Aug. 15, 1945 - Farmers Day in Smithfield celebrates the end of World War II.
- Sept. 1, 1965 - Johnston County's public schools begin racial desegregation, completed by consolidation of high schools in 1969.
- Oct. 1, 1991 - Land-use zoning instituted throughout Johnston County as suburbanization follows recently completed I-40 from Raleigh.
- Aug. 2, 1996 - Town of Wilson's Mills re-chartered (original charter issued in 1927, revoked in 1971).
- Nov. 3, 2009 - Town of Archer Lodge incorporated by a majority vote of residents within its proposed borders.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company H
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company C
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company F
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company G
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain John Daniel's Company
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Johnston County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1760 - 1962 - Will Books (1760-1962) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1760 - 1859 - Images of Wills and Estates. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1779 - Tax Lists, New Bern District, 1779 (index) in NC Taxpayers vol. 2, online at Ancestry ($)
- 1779 - Tax Lists, New Bern District, 1779 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1784 - Tax Lists, Johnston County, 1784 (index) in NC Taxpayers vol. 2, online at Ancestry ($)
- 1784 - Tax Lists, Johnston County, 1784 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1809-1819, 1863 - Tax Lists, 1809-1819, 1863 (images) online at FamilySearch
- 1815 - Tax Lists, Johnston County, 1815 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1850 - 1895 - Johnston County Bastardy Bonds 1850-1895 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Deaths at the Johnston County NCGenWeb site - free.
- Obituaries from the Smithfield Herald are included in GenealogyBank from Jan 2011 forward ($)
- Johnson County Deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1926 - 1975 - North Carolina, County Divorce Records, 1926-1975 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1958 - 2004 - North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1764 - 1930 - Johnston County Marriage Index 1764-1930 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriages at the Johnston County NCGenWeb site - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Johnston County Genealogical Society
PO Box 2373
Smithfield, NC 27577-2373
Telephone Number: 828-631-2646
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Johnston County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb Johnston County
- Johnston County Heritage Center
- Johnston County, NCGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Johnston County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at archive.org.
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), xxxiii. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.