Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Johnson County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Johnson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1843|
- 1 Johnson County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Johnson County Kentucky History
- 3 Johnson County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biographies, Family Histories, Gedcom Files, Genealogies etc.
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Land Records
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Obituaries
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy References
Johnson County Kentucky Courthouse
Kentucky Court of Justice, Johnson County has contact information for the Circuit Court Clerk.
Kentucky: State Board of Elections has contact information on all Kentucky County Court Clerks. Scroll down the page to find desired county or use the index at top of page.
Johnson County Kentucky History
- Johnson County, Kentucky : a history of the county, and genealogy of its people up to the year 1927 at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Johnson County Kentucky Places/Localities
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories, Gedcom Files, Genealogies etc.
The following web sites have additional information on Johnson county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- ePodunk list of Johnson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|U.S. Census Bureau|
For tips on accessing Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Johnson county, Kentucky at Wikipedia
Johnson County Kentucky Military Information
Johnson County War Memorials
Kentucky in the Revolutionary War. (includes list of soldiers from Johnson County, Kentucky)
Korean War Vets of Johnson county
List of Pensioners, Kentucky Johnson
Records of World War I Veterans
Vietnam War Casualties at Johnson county Genealogy Trails
World War II Johnson Co. Memorial
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Enrolled Militia)(Union), Companies E, H, I, and K.
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies H and I.
The Big Sandy News online
The Big Sandy News has bureaus in two area counties
P.O. Box 766
Louisa, KY 41230
FAX (606) 638-9949
338 Second Street
FAX (606) 788-9952
The Paintsville Herald
P. O. Box 1547
978 Broadway Plaza
Paintsville, KY 41240
Direct: (606) 789-5315
Toll Free: 1-888-788-5315
Fax: (606) 789-9717
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Johnson County Kentucky Historical Genealogical Society Obituary Website
- Johnson County, Kentucky Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1844-1975 - Will Books A to F (1844-1975) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1861 - Johnson County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517551 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Johnson County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517552 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1878 - Johnson County Birth Index 1878. Batch C517554 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1911-1920 - Johnson County, Kentucky Births 1911-1920
- 1921-1930 - Johnson County, Kentucky Births 1921-1930
- 1609-2016 - Kentucky, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1843-1859 - Marriage License of Johnson County, Kentucky From 1843-1859
- 1852-1859 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517551 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517553 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517554 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- Johnson County, Kentucky Marriage Records
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Search results for Johnson County on Kentucky Death Records at Rootsweb
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Van Lear Historical Society, Inc.
The Coal Miners' Museum
PO Box 369
Van Lear, KY 41265
Telephone / FAX: 606-789-8540
Johnson County Public Library
444 Main Street
Paintsville, KY 41240
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Johnson County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Johnson County Ky Index
- KYGenWeb-Johnson County page
- Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Johnson County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Johnson County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Kentucky County Population Estimates Retrieved on 2010-11-2
- U.S. Census Bureau Retrieved on 2010-2-27
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.