Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Jasper County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jasper County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||23 December, 1833|
|County Seat||Bay Springs|
|Address|| Jasper County Courthouse|
Court St; PO Box 1047;
Bay Springs, MS 39422
Jasper County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for William Jasper. The County has Bay Springs and Paulding as its seat and the County was created 1833. The County is located in the east central area of the state.
Jasper County, Mississippi Record Dates
HistoryWilliam Jasper (c1750-1779).
1833--Jasper County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession (and from portions of Jones and Wayne Counties).
County seat: Bay Springs 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1932--Some records were lost.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
For tips on accessing Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- Men from Jasper County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jasper County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company B - Nixon’s Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- - 7th Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Jasper County Company
- Company B - Beauregard Defenders
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Tallahoma Hardshells [also listed as Co. H]
- Company G - Tolson Guards [also listed as Co. E]
- - 40th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Oak Bowery Invincibles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Jasper County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1906-1919 - Jasper County Marriage Index 1906-1919. Batch M748565 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1906-1923 - Jasper County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1906-1923. Batch M748566 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jasper County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb asper County, Mississippi project. Hase maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jasper, Mississippi," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_County,_Mississippi."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jasper County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "William Jasper," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.