Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Jasper County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jasper County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1807|
|Address|| Jasper County Courthouse|
Courthouse on the Square
Monticello, GA 31064
Jasper County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Jasper County, Georgia Record Dates
Jasper County Courthouse
Courthouse on the Square
Monticello, GA 31064
Clerk Superior Court has land records from 1808, divorce, military and court records from 1900
Clerk of Superior Court
126 W. Greene Street, Suite 110
Monticello, GA 31064
Telephone: (706) 468-4901
Fax: (706) 468-4946
Probate Court of Jasper County
126 W. Greene St. Suite 111
Monticello, GA 31064
Work Phone: 706-468-4903
HistoryWilliam Jasper (c1750-1779).
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Jasper County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1878-1924 - Methodist Church Baptism Index 1878-1924. Batch C713111 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1878-1924 - Methodist Church Marriage Index 1878-1924. Batch M713111 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1878-1924 - Methodist Church Burial Index 1878-1924. Batch B394956 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1829-1905 - Presbyterian Church Baptism Index 1829-1905. Batch C713121 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1829-1905 - Presbyterian Church Marriage Index 1829-1905. Batch M713121 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1829-1905 - Presbyterian Church Burial Index 1829-1905. Batch B394955 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 4th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 32nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- McElroy, J. 1900. Jasper County, Georgia, confederate volunteers: Company B, 44th Georgia Regiment, March 17, 1862. San Antonio, Texas: Family Adventures. (entire book) 975.8583 M2m
- Carnes, Marcia Hayes, John P. Harvey, and Irene Roberts Malone. 1984. History of Jasper County, Georgia. Roswell, GA: WH Wolfe Associates. (page 47-53) 975.8583 H2h digital version
- Anderson, Mary Ann. 1995. Cen-Silver celebration: the 125th anniversary of the founding of Hazlehurst, Georgia, a town at the crossroads. S.l: s.n.]. (page 130-139) 975.8827/H1 H2c digital version
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Jasper County). 1957. Confederate veteran pension rolls abt. 1897-1906; Minutes & records of Confederate Veteran Associations, abt. 1894-1933; Muster rolls of comp A, 32nd. Reg & comp C, 16th Bat. Cal; Disabled & indigent Confederates peddler's license, & salesman's oaths, etc. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah.film 158477
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1797-1819 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book C, 1797-1819 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1813-1817 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 1, 1813-1817 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1813-1820 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 2, 1813-1820 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1821-1823 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 3, 1821-1823 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1822-1823 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annaul Returns, Book 4, 1822-1823 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1824-1833 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 5, 1824-1833 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828-1829 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 9, 1828-1829 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1830-1839 - Wills, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Annual Returns, Book 10, 1830-1839 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and all slaves up to age 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
- 1560 - 1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1808 - 1869 - Jasper County Marriage Index 1808-1869. Batch M713131 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1808 - 1820 - Jasper County Marriage Book A, 1808-1820 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1811 - 1841 - Jasper County Marriage Book B, 1811-1841 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1869 - 1886 - Jasper County Marriage Index 1869-1886. Batch M713132 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1886 - 1895 - Jasper County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1886-1895. Batch M713133 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1942 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jasper County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Jasper County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jasper County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jasper County, Georgia. Page 157 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "William Jasper," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 37-38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.