Jackson County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Jackson County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||February 11, 1853|
|County Seat||Black River Falls|
|Address|| Jackson County Courthouse|
307 Main Street
Black River Falls, WI 54615;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Jackson County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Jackson County Courthouse
307 Main Street
Black River Falls, WI 54615;
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Jackson County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1890 - 1890 Special Schedule, Surviving Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Widows WIGenWeb Project
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Wisconsin Land Patent Database, Index of Jackson County USGenWeb Archives
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Jackson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Jackson County.
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company G (Men were listed in the Roster as being from the city of Albion, which could have been from the counties of Dane, Trempealeau or Jackson.)
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company G
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company I
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Various Newspaper Clippings extracted from Jackson County, WI. WIGenWeb Archives
- Some Jackson County Obituaries. Scroll down to Obituary Records. USGenWeb Archives
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at: Wisconsin Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Jackson County Historical Society
13 S First St
Black River Falls WI 54615
PO Box 363
Sparta, WI 54656
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Jackson County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jackson County, WIGenWeb project
- Jackson County, USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 757 Jackson County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "List of counties in Wisconsin," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).