Jackson County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Jackson County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Jackson County Courthouse|
405 4th St
PO Box 209
Jackson, MN 56143
Jackson County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Jackson County, Minnesota Record Dates
Court Administrator has birth, death, divorce, probate and
court records from 1870 and marriage records from 1868.
County Recorder has land records from 1870. 
County government was dissolved due to Sioux uprising in 1862. It was reorganized in 1866. Before its reorganization it may have been attached to Martin County.
- 1857--Jackson County was 23 May 1857 from Brown County but not formally organized until 1858.
County seat: Jackson 
- For a brief history of how Jackson County was named, click here. Then select Jackson County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Alpha | Heron Lake | Jackson | Lakefield | Miloma | Okabena | Wilder
Alba Township | Belmont Township | Christiania Township | Delafield Township | Des Moines Township | Enterprise Township | Ewington Township | Heron Lake Township | Hunter Township | Kimball Township | La Crosse Township | Middletown Township | Minneota Township | Petersburg Township | Rost Township | Round Lake Township | Sioux Valley Township | Weimer Township | West Heron Lake Township | Wisconsin Township
- Dickinson County, Iowa
- Emmet County, Iowa
- Osceola County, Iowa
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Bethany Lutheran Church, Bergen
- Records of Bethany Lutheran Church, Bergen, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Delafield Evangelical Lutheran Church, Wilder
- Records of the Delafield Evangelical Lutheran Church, Wilder, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Jackson – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Jackson County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Blue Earth County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Blue Earth County.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Jackson County Historical Society
Jackson/cottonwood Genealogical Group
PO Box 238
307 North Highway 86
Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
Social Science 141
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jackson County, Minnesota page 365, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.