Jackson County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Jackson County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||August 12, 1822|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Jackson County, Florida Record Dates
Jackson County Courthouse
2864 Madison Court; PO Box 510;
Marianna, FL 32447
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1845, land records from 1824,
divorce, divorce, military and court records from 1900. 
The county was named for Andrew Jackson, who had served as Florida's first military governor for six months in 1821. The County Seat is Marianna and the county was created August 12, 1822. The County is located in the Northwest area of the state.
1821-1997 "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" MapofUS
November 30, 1848 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Tennessee Genealogy Blog When the Records are Gone, Arlene Eakle.
- FamilySearch wiki Burned Records Research.
- blogs.ancestry.com Family History Circle, Michael John Neill.
Places / Localities
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Jackson County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Jackson County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Sink Creek
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jackson County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- HistoryGeo.com ($) Family Maps of Jackson County, Florida. Free surname search.
- Jackson County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Jackson County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Jackson County Confederate Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
World War I
- Index to Jackson County Civilian Draft Registration by Surname - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Jackson County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Jackson County Veterans Memorial, Korean War (FLGenWeb Project)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Jackson County Veterans Memorial, Vietnam War (FLGenWeb Project)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Jackson County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Jackson County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
Jacksonville Genealogical Society
1224 Knobb Hill Drive
Jackson County Historical Society
413 North Green Street
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jackson County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jackson County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Jackson County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Jackson County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Jackson County, FLGenWeb Project
- Jackson County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Jackson County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jackson County, Florida Page 135 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Indian River County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/indianriver/ accessed 04/25/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jackson River County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County,_Florida 04/25/2017.