Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ITTERINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Aylsham. The living is a discharged rectory in medieties, with that of Mannington annexed. 
Itteringham St Mary with Mannington is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich. St. Mary's church was probably originally Saxon before being rebuilt and enlarged through the gift of Aymer de Valence in the 1200s. The tower was built later in the 14th century and the building was remodelled in the 19th Century. Before the reformation it was known as St. Agnes although we are (as yet) unaware as to why the name was changed. A chapel was also originally built on the outer wall of the chancel in the 15th century but is now ruined. The chancel has rich Jacobean panelling and the pulpit is also Jacobean, being carved with an angel of a strangely classical type. The door to the nave is still on its original hinges.
The parishes of Itteringham and Mannington were consolidated into one joint benefice and one rectory on 17th March 1780 after the joint petition of Lord Walpole and the Reverend Mordaunt Leathes who both held livings in the gift of Lord Walpole. It was judged that the livings together make a moderate provision for a minister.
Mannington Church was an estate church attached to Mannington Hall. It was of Saxon origin and like St. Mary's of Itteringham, it was enlarged through the gift of Aymer de Valence in the 1200s. Sir John Goote was listed as priest in 1597. By 1800 the church was described as "disused." However it has never been deconsecrated and the 4th Earl of Orford chose to be buried in its ruins where he had created a folly garden full of old stonework and mock memorials. As recently as 1982 a baptism took place within its walls and services are still regularly held in the summer and at Christmas.
Itteringham is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk, some 4+1⁄2 miles (7.2 km) northwest of the market town of Aylsham For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Itteringham lies in the valley of the River Bure that eventually becomes a major part of the Norfolk Broads. The village has a pub, the Walpole Arms and a village shop. The converted watermill is a historical feature within the village.
The poet George Barker lived in the village and is buried in the churchyard.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Itteringham with Mannington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Itteringham with Mannington Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Norfolk Record Office.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.• England Jurisdictions 1851
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 623-628. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Norfolk) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.