|Italy Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning the United States genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The following are some helpful periodicals for Italy:
- Cataloghi a stampa di periodici delle biblioteche italiane : bibliografia descrittiva (1859–1967) Stolp, Gertrude Nobile. Firenze: Leo S. Olschki. FHL book 945 B23s. Descriptive bibliography of periodicals in Italian libraries.
- Comunes of Italy 1998-. Published by L&G Merchandise, Inc., 2709 Arctic Avenue, Altlantic City, NJ 08401. FHL book 945 D25c.
- Italian Genealogical Group newsletter 1994-. Published by the Italian Genealogical Group, P.O. Box 626, Bethpage, NY 11714-0626. FHL book 974.7 D25i.
- POINTers: The American Journal of Italian Genealogy 1987-. Published by POINT (Pursuing Our Italian Names Together), P.O. Box 14966 Las Vegas, Nevada 89114-4966. 1987–. FHL book 973 D25po.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990). Partially indexes over 5,000 family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Italy periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Italy-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.
For more information, see also Italy Societies.
Newspapers Digitized[edit | edit source]
LOMBARDY (region) - Lombardy: newspapers from the 19th Century and 20th Century - Emeroteca Digitale Braidense
CUNEO (province) - The Ministero per i Beni Culturali, through the Piedmont Region, has invested 250,000 Euros in a microfilming, digitization and online storage of the major newspapers collection of the old province of Cuneo, which was conducted during 2006 -2008.
EMILIA ROMAGNA - Il Comune di Bologna - a monthly magazine published between 1924 and 1939.
PERUGIA - Biblioteca Digitale Augusta (digital emeroteca)
PIEDMONT (and Italy) - La Stampa (literally “The Press”) is one of the best-known, most influential and most widely sold Italian daily newspapers. Published in Turin, it is distributed in Italy and other European nations. Digital newspaper archive 1867-2005.
TOSCANA (region) - Emeroteca Virtuale Toscana; P0LO, Biblioteca Universitaria di Pisa. Digitized Newspapers.
ROMA - Biblioteca Universitaria Alessandrina - Newspapers and Magazines
TRIESTE - TRIPEDI Trieste digitized newspapers
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Duke University Libraries: Italian Periodicals (1,845 electronic records) Dates range from 1792 to 1943.