Italy, Trento, Diocesi di Trento, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Italy, Trento, Diocesi di Trento, Catholic Church Records, 1548-1937
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Location of Trento, Italy|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration|
|Title in the Language:||Italia, Provincia di Trento, Trento Diocesi, Chiesa Cattolica Records, 1548-1937|
|Archdiocese of Trento|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of a name index of baptisms from the Diocesi di Trento (Italy) for the years 1548 to 1937. Original records are primarily in Latin and Italian.
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Reading These Records
These records are in Italian. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Italy, Trento, Diocesi di Trento, Catholic Church Records, 1548-1937.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Comune or Frazione: Parish
- Select Record Type
- Select Year range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Italy, Trento, Diocesi di Trento, Catholic Church Records, 1548-1937. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. This compiled list can help you identify possible relations that can be further verified by researching vital records indexes in the country
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Italy Civil Registration are also a good substitute when church records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Italy Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Italia, Trento, Diocesi di Trento, Registri Parrocchiali, 1548-1937." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 29 September 2017. Archdiocesi di Trento, Trento (Archdiocese of Trento, Trento).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.