Italy, Messina, Messina, Civil Registration, Comune (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Italy, Messina, Messina, Civil Registration (Comune), 1866-1910
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Messina City, Messina Province, Italy|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Flag of the Province of Messina|
|Location of Messina City, Messina Province, Italy|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration|
|Title in the Language:||Stato Civile di Messina, Italia, 1866-1910|
|Messina State Archives, Messina, Italy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of records of the civil registration (stato civile) of births, marriages, and deaths within the custody of the community of Messina (Comune di Messina). This includes records from the town of Nizza di Sicilia (Comune di Nizza di Sicilia) and from the so-called Messina Villages (Villaggi di Messina). This collection includes records for the years 1866 through 1910.
For more information specific to this collection of civil registration records of Messina, see the wiki article: Chronological Finding Aids for the Civil Registration of Messina, Italy
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Italian Data Privacy rules prohibit making certain records publicly available for viewing. This includes birth records under 110 years old, and marriage or death records under 70 years old. The Italy, Messina, Civil Registration, State Archive collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images are also available to all viewers at The Portale Antenati (Ancestors Portal).
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records
These records are in Italian. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Italy, Messina, Messina, Civil Registration (Comune), 1866-1910.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Birth Records Type
Beginning in 1876, so-called Decennial Tables were prepared for vital records in all Comuni across Italy. The Decennial Tables are alphabetical indexes of all vital records for the Comune within the previous ten years. Many of the Decennial Tables for the Comune di Messina were filmed and digitized as part of this collection. These appear under the Villaggi di Messina section of the collection, although these Tables do include records for the two Mandamenti of Messina proper as well. The Decennial Table indexes for births over the following years are included in this collection:
- 1886-1895 (partial)
The Decennial Table indexes for deaths over the following years are also included in this collection:
For general details about the contents of Italian civil registration records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Comune or Frazione (Municipality or Fraction)
- Select Record Type and Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Italy, Messina, Messina, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1896-1939. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. This compiled list can help you identify possible relations that can be further verified by researching vital records indexes in the country
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Italy Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Italy Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Italia, Messina, Messina, Stato Civile (Comune), 1866-1910." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Archivio di Stato di Messina (Messina State Archives, Messina).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.