Italy, L'Aquila, Camarda, Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Italy, L'Aquila, Camarda, Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Catholic Church Records, 1606-1941
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Location of L'Aquila, Italy|
|Title in the Language:||Italia, L'Aquila, Camarda, Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Registri Parrocchiali, 1606-1941|
|San Giovanni Battista Parish, Camarda, Italy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This is a collection of Catholic Church records from the parish of San Giovanni Battista within the Frazione of Camarda, Comune of L'Aquila, Province of L'Aquila, Italy. Also included in the collection are church censuses (stato delle anime). These records with cover the years from 1606 to 1941.
Church records are generally kept in bound registers consisting of approximately 100-400 pages per volume. Some registers include an index at the end of each volume. Volumes prior to 1815 were handwritten by the parish priest in narrative form with details of the event and after 1815 the records were handwritten in printed forms. The text of the records is in Italian and partially in Latin.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Images in this collection are available for viewing if you are a registered FamilySearch user. You can register for a free FamilySearch account here.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Italian records see the following guides:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Italy, L'Aquila, Camarda, Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Catholic Church Records, 1606-1941.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Italian Church Records
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Record Type to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Italy Record Finder and Italy Research Tips and Strategies to find other records
- Italy Civil Registration are also a good substitute when church records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Italy Record Finder to find other records.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Italia, L'Aquila, Camarda, Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Registri Parrocchiali, 1606-1941." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Parrocchia di San Giovanni Battista, Camarda (San Giovanni Battista Parish, Camarda).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.